1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Get Computer To Detect New Copied Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RBG, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RBG

RBG Thread Starter

HI!

I USED "DRIVE COPY" TO COPY MY OLD HARD DRIVE (WD 20 GIG) ON MY OLD COMPUTER, TO A NEW LARGER HARD DRIVE (WD 40 GIG). I HAD TO USE MY NEWER COMPUTER TO MAKE THE COPY ON. I CHECKED THE FINISHED COPY ON THE NEWER COMPUTER I COPIED IT ON AND EVERYTHING IS FINE. NO ERRORS, AND IT BOOTS. SO I PUT IT BACK IN MY ORIGINAL OLD COMPUTER, BUT IT DOESN'T RECOGNIZE THE DRIVE NOW. IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO DO TO GET MY ORIGINAL OLD COMPUTER TO RECOGNIZE THE NEWLY COPIED DRIVE SO IT WILL BOOT? THE NEW DRIVE WILL BOOT JUST FINE ON THE ONE I MADE THE COPY ON, BUT I NEED IT TO WORK ON THE OLD ONE. ANY SUGGESTIONS? THIS IS A WINDOWS 95 SYSTEM. COULD THE BOOT RECORD NEED TO BE RESTORED? I'M NOT SURE I KNOW HOW TO RESTORE THE BOOT RECORD ON WINDOWS 95? OR MAYBE A SETTING IN THE BIOS
    NEEDS TO BE CHANGED? I SET THE JUMPER ON THE NEW DRIVE TO "CABLE SELECT".
    ??? RB

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Why didn't you do the copy job on the older computer?

You've got to do the copying on the older computer unless you had three (3) drives in the newer computer to do the copy job, did you have three drives in the newer computer? You'd have to temporarily jumper the two drives meant for the older computer as Slave.

DriveCopy has DOS disks you can make on the newer computer so you could use them on the older unit.

DriveCopy hides the partition on the drive being copied. You'll have to use DriveCopy to unhide the partition on the target drive.

Install the both, the new jumpered as Master, the old jumpered as Slave in the older computer and use your newly created DOS DriveCopy disk(s) to unhide the partition.

Neither the old or newer HDDs should boot correctly in the newer computer unless the two computer mainboards are exactly alike.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Sorry, couldn't send this all via private message because it's too long.

You might consider not the capital letters. It's considered "shouting." No biggy though :)

Aside from jumpering the new drive as Master and not Cable Select, I'd say that have you considered that the mainboard in the older computer can not 'see' that large of a HDD (but the newer computer can) and therefore that's why the computer can't boot from that drive? The older unit's mainboard can't see the drive is there is all I can figure if the older drive boots fine in the older computer and the newer drive boots in the newer computer, there's something wrong. Plus the Operating Systems (OS) themselves have a HDD size limitation too. I don't know the size limitation for Win95 but I believe it's around 30-40 Gb for Win98 and about same for WinME. I know the boxes on the Maxtor drives I've used say the size limitations for Operating Systems.

The possibility still exists that the partition on the newer drive is still hidden. On DriveCopy, the earlier version of DriveImage, you'd have to have both drives, the older and newer, in the computer because DriveCopy will hide the partition on the source or destination Mandatory. One or the other without fail. Drive Image is not that way, you have a choice. You said the old drive boots but the other doesn't. Suggests, but not definitely, that DriveCopy is still hiding the partition.

Both drives installed in the older computer; The newer one jumpered as Master on the cable head farthest from the mainboard and the older HDD on the same line (some put the slave on the Secondary channel but I find that useless) jumpered as Slave. Start the computer with the DriveCopy floppies and attempt once more, or even twice, to hide/unhide the partition. The 30 Gb HDD should not boot any more id jumpered as master because it's partition will be hidden not the 40 Gb.

If there actually is, you find out later, a size limitation that's stopping you, just partition the new dive so there's no bigger than a 30 Gb partition on that 40 Gb HDD with fdisk or DriveImage. DriveImage allows you to partition on the fly in Windows, plus floppies too if need be.

I'm not sure whether your difficulty lies in the mainboard limitation or the partition on the new drive is still hidden.

Sorry you're using so much time on this. Been there, done that. :(

Styxx

4. RBG

RBG Thread Starter

HI Styxx!!

THANKS FOR GETTING BACK!! I APOLOGIZE FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS, BUT I'M A BAD AND SLOW TYPIST AND SETTING IT AT CAPS AND JUST GOING FOR IT SAVES A LOT OF TIME!
    I DID GO TO THE FIC MOTHER BOARD WEB SITE AND FOUND OUT THAT I NEED TO UPDATE THE BIOS SO THE BOARD WILL RECOGNIZE UP TO 65 GIG DRIVES. THAT MAY SOLVE EVERYTHING. WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

MANY THANKS!!!!!! RBG

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice