1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Get Data Back corruption

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by giz, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. giz

giz Thread Starter

I am attempting to recover data from a damaged hard drive using GetDataBack for NTFS. A friend was able to connect the hard drive and extract most of the files but a number of them seem to be scrambled beyond use. In particular excel sheets and zipped folders are the biggest victims so far.

Does anyone know if there is any reason to believe re-running GetDataBack would help? Or are there other options that might better luck? I have tried a couple file repair tools on the individual files with no success so any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi giz,

ZIP files are very 'sensitive'. A simple alteration of a ZIP file (during a downloading for example) ends often with a CRC error message and the extraction is impossible.
    If a non password protected ZIP file contains only multimedia files in compressed format (JPEG, MP3, AVI, and many others), it's possible, with a good hexadecimal editor, to retrieve a few of them. Therefore, you must know the specific header and the file description related to their format.

3. giz

giz Thread Starter

Hi Chicon,

The one zip file is full of fonts from a large collection I purchased, is that something that could be salvaged? Is there an article I could read on how to use a hex progam to do that?

Thanks.

4. Chicon

Chicon

Hi giz,

I have just made a test with font files (.TTF and .FON). They are highly compressible in ZIP file (compression rate around 55%).
    Unfortunately, in your case, there is no way to get your fonts back.
    Even with an hex editor, you won't be able to extract them because the algorithm used to compress files is very intricate even for programing experts.

5. giz

giz Thread Starter

Thanks for your efforts all the same Chicon. I guess those are gone-zo. Oh well.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Have you considered trying another File Recovery program? My Hard drive has crashed several times before in the past and I was able to recover 100% of my files each time. I use Easy Recovery Pro software and it is the best. I tried at least 3 other file recovery programs and while they did work, not one of them was able to do a complete recovery like Easy Recovery Pro. As an added bonus, Easy Recovery Pro has built in repair utilities for ZIP and MS Office Files (Excel, Word, Access, Powerpoint)

Rollin

7. giz

giz Thread Starter

Wow, thanks Rollin, that could really help me out. I'll look into it for sure.

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Another good program that the professionals use is Acronis Recovery Expert Deluxe. It has two different scanning modes, a fast one and a slow one. The slow one checks each and every sector of the hard drive, and while it does take a long time, it usually finds files that other programs miss. Hope it helps ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice