1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Get Data off non formatted disk

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Fluxp, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fluxp

Fluxp Thread Starter

Ok, following problem:
    My computers mobo broke irrepairably and had to be replaced. For some reason they tech guys told me they'd add on another harddrive along with my existing two to install windows on the new one, so as to keep all old data.
    Alright, so now I have installed windows on that drive but when I want to access my two old drives which for all I knew had a perfectly fine set of windows vista on them, it says the harddrives aren't formatted and I should format them. I do not under any circumstances want to lose my data though.
    How can I access these drives without formatting them? I can't see why they aren't formatted correctly now if they were before.

Thanks

Edit: The drive I can't access seems to be in the RAW format, from what I've read I can restore this to NTFS with data recovery programs. This will take forever considering I'm talking about 300GBytes of data. Any alternative suggestions?
    I might be wrong though, there might be a shorter way of restoring the data with some program.

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

You've certainly done the right thing so far by not touching the disks.

Try downloading and running TestDisk from here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Make sure to look through the documentation on the site- it is more thorough and accurate than what I could easily put here, however you should not hesitate to post with further questions or progress.

3. davison1

davison1

Before formatting the hard drive make sure you take the backup of your data. After formatting , try some reliable data recovery software. You can search for "data recovery software" on google to have an online support.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Testdisk is the best partition recovery tool available, free or pay.

5. hulkinator

hulkinator

Do not format the disk at all!

You definitely do NOT want to write anything to the drive until you have recovered everything that you want to have. If you have the means to easily do so you could take an image of the hard disk with a program like Clonezilla, but as long as you tread carefully with TestDisk and make sure not to write any changes to the "RAW" drive, you should be fine.

6. davison1

davison1

Yes, that's right . We should always make an image of hard drive before formatting it. And also avoid writing in hard drive as soon as hard drive crash is detected because once the data is overwritten , it is lost for ever. But if u have an image of your hard drive , a data recovery software like Windows Data Recovery Software from Stellar phoenix , can recover all your lost data in their original form.

All the best and happy new year to everyone :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice