1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Get drive letter for slave while keeping data

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cr0bar, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cr0bar

cr0bar Thread Starter

Hello,

My master hard disk failed and I have successfully replaced it with a new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second slave drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this drive, it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter. How can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting it and losing all of my data?

Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is on the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had one, but shows up in the bios as the secondary hard drive.

Please Help Me, I'm stumped.

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

3. cr0bar

cr0bar Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks, but that doesn't quite solve the problem, I should have been clearer. I can do what is suggested in this page which is to go to Disk management and assign a drive letter, but the drive does not then show up in 'My Computer' and the data is not accessible. So the drive can be assigned a letter, but it doesn't actually do anything.

Thanks

4. TG512

TG512

Try setting the jumper on the new drive to Master and put a jumper on the old drive to Slave.
    Let us know if that works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice