Get error message when creating TOC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

btweedy

When I try to create a TOC in Word 2000, I get an error message that says no TOC entries found. I've tried to use headings and also tried using "TC" entries at each level (I wrote the document in a custom Bullets & Numbering style; e.g., 1., 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1) but still get the error. I tried checking "use field code" instead of heading style--to no avail.

Hi btweedy,

If you have tried Heading styles and TC's then it should be working; have you tried the standard method of closing Word, searching for and deleting all occurences of file NORMAL.DOT, then re-starting Word?

Not 100% on what you posted, I wouldnlt expect a TOC from Bullets and Numbering.
Also check that in your Insert \ Index and Tables \TOC that the 'Show Levels' covers your heading type e.g if you are only showling level 1 then you you will get an error if you have only used heading 2 or below.

lol
Hew

PS If you have tailored Normal.Dot then of course you will have to re-tailor it after Word creates it anew (which it does if it doesn't exist).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online