1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Get modem IP through cmd behind router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Doomsday123, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doomsday123

Doomsday123 Thread Starter

Is there any command that will get me the modem IP when I am behind a router? When i use IPconfig it just gives me my local ip on the network. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Theres a few ways you can get it. Go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/ or you can connect into the router and look at its WAn configuration and it should give you the IP there.

3. Doomsday123

Yeah i know these two methods but I am trying to get it throught the command prompt. The reason being is because I want to write the output to a file and then send it to my email at work so I always know my home IP address to remote desktop if it ever changes during the work day.

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I don't know of anything that will run from the command-line, but your routers status page should tell you the IP.

5. Doomsday123

All i need is an automatic utility that will write my ip to a text file so I can send the text file to my email. Any ideas?

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

8. Doomsday123

Thanks. I decided to go with the DynDNS. I put the updater on my computer and created a domain with them. Now all I am going to do is take my current domain and get godaddy(my domain manager) and just forward it to the free domain i got through DynDNS so now i dont have to worry about typing in that weird domain name. Thanks!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry I didn't see your thread earlier.

ping -r 1 any_valid_internet_name_or_IP_address

After each reply will be a line:
    Route: your WAN IP (or, as you called it, your modem IP)

10. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

This will not necessarily give your external IP, it may return one of your ISP's servers instead. You'll have to see if it works for your connection.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    brendandonhu, does it depend on whether the computer has DNS = real DNS or router's IP? If so, then using internet IP instead of internet name should work?

12. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I tried it both ways, neither work for my connection (Comcast behind a router.)

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "The reason being is because I want to write the output to a file and then send it to my email at work so I always know my home IP address to remote desktop if it ever changes during the work day."

Addressing the above desire, just use the full email header. I tested this using yahoo.com, hotmail.com and Netscape Communicator as my mail client for my ISP email and for netscape.net. In all cases my actual IP was included. For example, the following is an edited line from mail sent from netscape.net, using Netscape Communicator to send and receive (192.168.2.2 is my LAN address):

Received: from [192.168.2.2] (MY.IP.IS.HERE.client.MYISP.com [MY.IP.IS.HERE]) by air-in04.mx.aol.com (v108_r1_b1.2) with ESMTP id MAILININ44-589b43c6e93722c; Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:41:44 -0500

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Doesn't work for me either. :)

15. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Didn't work for me either.... sheesh I thought I learned a new trick :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice