1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

get my files off of old hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sebenfitty, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sebenfitty

sebenfitty Thread Starter

my wife broke our laptop, i had all of my music on that hard drive and hadnt yet backed it up. the hard drive is still good, so i bought an external hard drive enclosure and put the old hard drive in it. i hooked it up, but am not able to get to any of my files off of it. computer recognizes it is there, shows folders, but wont/cant read files. wont open itunes or any other programs i had on it.
    the old drive was in windows vista, new computer is windows 7. does that matter?
    what do i need to do?
    thanks in advance

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

3. sebenfitty

sebenfitty Thread Starter

a few minutes after i posted, i found the music files, but they are in script form and i cannot do anything with them.
    then i saw your reply, and did the ownership thing, and nothing changed.
    do i have to import files to use them? thought i would be able to just pull them right up.

4. zigzag3143

zigzag3143

I am assuming they are in itunes. Itunes stores as Mp3 files and you should have no trouble drag them accross. You mention "script form" what does that mean? Can you make a screenshot (use snipping tool built into win 7--type snipping in search) and upload it to use?

Ken J

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/982985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice