Solved Get Setup Not Complete After a Failed System Restore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LADYDEEATRA

I HAVE A HP COMPAQ DC5750 DESKTOP. IT HAS RUN XP SP3 BEAUTIFULLY ALL THESE YEARS (PRETTY MUCH). THIS MORNING I HAD TO DO A SYSTEM RESTORE TO TRY TO CORRECT A BAD SOFTWARE INSTALL OF ANDROID DRIVER FILES, THE RESTORE DIDNT HELP, SO I CHOSE 'UNDO SYSTEM RESTORE'. NOW THE DEAR PC WONT COME UP, IT WILL GO TO THE WINDOWS XP SCREEN, THEN GO BLANK, BEEP ONCE,AND DISPLAY MESSAGE 'SETUP NOT COMPLETE'. IT WONT SETUP FROM A CD, CANT GET TO RECOVERY PARTITION, IT DID SUCCESSFULLY DO A CHKDSK FROM A USB DRIVE I HAVE WITH MINI-XP ON IT. NOW WHAT???

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm assuming this is your HP Compaq dc5750 desktop.
HP Compaq dc5750 Microtower PC
Windows XP Pro recovery disc kit

I've never done an "undo system restore" in Windows XP, so I don't know what the consequences can be from trying to undo a system restore.
Can you get that desktop to load the operating system in safe mode or safe mode with networking (F8) so you can try to retrieve whatever personal data you have in it?
It sounds to me like the operating system got trashed during the undo process.

---------------------------------------------------------------

LADYDEEATRA

I'm assuming this is your HP Compaq dc5750 desktop.
HP Compaq dc5750 Microtower PC
Windows XP Pro recovery disc kit

I've never done an "undo system restore" in Windows XP, so I don't know what the consequences can be from trying to undo a system restore.
Can you get that desktop to load the operating system in safe mode or safe mode with networking (F8) so you can try to retrieve whatever personal data you have in it?
It sounds to me like the operating system got trashed during the undo process.

---------------------------------------------------------------
YEAH THATS WHAT IM THINKING TOO I WAS HOPING SOMEONE KNEW IF THERE WAS A FACTORY RESET CODE IN HP OR IF I SHOULD JUST GO AHEAD AND FORMAT AND RELOAD. WILL MICROSOFT STILL ALLOW ME TO REGISTER MY XP SOFTWARE?

LADYDEEATRA

YEAH THATS WHAT IM THINKING TOO I WAS HOPING SOMEONE KNEW IF THERE WAS A FACTORY RESET CODE IN HP OR IF I SHOULD JUST GO AHEAD AND FORMAT AND RELOAD. WILL MICROSOFT STILL ALLOW ME TO REGISTER MY XP SOFTWARE?
OK I BIT THE BULLET DID A COMPLETE FORMAT AND NEW INSTALL OF XP. XP DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE SMBUS CONTROLLER , ETHERNET CONTROLLER, AUDIO DEVICE ON HI TECH AUDIO BUS ,VIDEO CONTROLLER AND VIDEO CONTROLLER VGA COMPATABLE. I KNOW ITS AN INTEGRATED CHIPSET,BUT WITHOUT THE CORRECT DRIVERS I CANT GET TO THE INTERNET. HP SAYS I CANT DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER PACKAGE TIL IM ON THE INTERNET, AND WORSE, THEY DONT SHOW ANYTHING FOR WIN XP ANYMORE...

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You should've identified that computer's primary devices(graphics, audio, ethernet, etc. ) and obtained the Windows XP drivers for them before you did a hard drive format and clean install of Windows XP Professional SP3.

Since you didn't do that, we now need to identify those devices and locate the drivers for them.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Go into the Device Manager, then advise the exact names of the entries there that have a yellow ? or ! next to them.

Double-click each of those entries to open its properties window, then click the "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Ids" in the list.

There should be one or more strings that have VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.

Advise what the exact 4-character codes are that follow VEN_ and DEV_

Those codes will identify those devices, so be careful not to make any typos.

From what I can determine from its support site, that computer appears to have these primary devices:

NVIDIA or ATI graphics (unknown description)

Realtek high definition audio

Intel PRO/1000 or Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx ethernet

Last edited:

LADYDEEATRA

You should've identified that computer's primary devices(graphics, audio, ethernet, etc. ) and obtained the Windows XP drivers for them before you did a hard drive format and clean install of Windows XP Professional SP3.

Since you didn't do that, we now need to identify those devices and locate the drivers for them.

Go into the Device Manager, then advise the exact names of the entries there that have a yellow ? or ! next to them.

Double-click each of those entries to open its properties window, then click the "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Ids" in the list.

There should be one or more strings that have VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.

Advise what the exact 4-character codes are that follow VEN_ and DEV_

Those codes will identify those devices, so be careful not to make any typos.

From what I can determine from its support site, that computer appears to have these primary devices:

NVIDIA or ATI graphics (unknown description)

Realtek high definition audio

Intel PRO/1000 or Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx ethernet

HI I SPENT LAST NIGHT WORKING ON IT, AND IVE GOT IT BACK UP AND RUNNING AGAIN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online