Get wireless laptop and wired desktop to share wired cable broadband connection?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wellyfish

Hi there,

I've got a desktop with a wired connection to a cable broadband modem (with only one connection on it) and I'd like to have my laptop (which has a wireless card) to share that connection only wireless .... if you know what I mean... anyone tell me what I need to do to get that working? is it possible?

cheers,
Mark.

Hi,
Its not possible. To make it possiable either modem should be a wireless modem or you can use a wireless router to have wireless connection in laptop.

L8ian

wellyfish

Hi L8ian,

So I would have to buy a wireless cable modem and use my existing CAT5 cable to connect from my desktop network card to the wireless modem ... and the laptop could 'access the wireless modem ... err... wirelessly ... that right???
OR
.... i'm not sure what the other option is ... what would a wireless router do for me?

please excuse my rank ignorance!
cheers

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Buy a wireless router, it'll allow you share the connection with wired and wireless computers.

wellyfish

Hi John,

Excuse my utter ignorance here ... would that be a wireless cable/dsl router (like the Netgear WNR834B model)?

would that replace my existing cable modem?

I dont understand how it all 'fits'.

Thanks for your patience.

TerryNet

Terry
If you get a wireless (cable/dsl) router such as the Netgear WNR834B you will connect your current modem to the router's WAN (also called Internet or Modem) port. Up to 4 computers, printers, ethernet switches, etc., can connect to the router's 4 LAN ports. And multiple computers can connect via Wi-Fi.

You can replace your cable modem with a unit that is a combination of cable modem/wireless router, but I prefer keeping the units separate.

wellyfish

thank you TerryNet.

Your post makes sense to me and now I think I'm not quite as thick as I was :)

thanks for explaining.

TerryNet

Terry
You're welcome. Good luck with your router shopping. Most times with cable internet service you can get started simply ...

Unplug the modem and shut down the computer. Connect modem to router WAN and computer to router LAN. Plug in modem, then router, then boot computer.

You should have internet access and can then consult the manual (on CD or online) for login to your router and setting up your wireless and connect the other computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts