1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Get XP to recognize second hard drive - Will rescan do the trick?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nhagen, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nhagen

nhagen Thread Starter

I am trying to upgrade to a larger hard drive (from 7 to 20 gb). The 7 gb hard drive contains data plus software installs that I don't want to lose. I really want to keep both HDs in the machine.

I have formatted the 20 gb drive and installed XP home on it. Am trying to slave the 7 gb drive but don't see it in 'My Computer'. Disk management shows the two drives. Would running 'rescan' make the smaller drive appear in My Computer? Will it leave the drive intact?

Thanks for any help.:confused:

2. zeddy

zeddy

Have you set the second drive to slave on its jumpers on the same cable as the larger one?

3. nhagen

nhagen Thread Starter

Have been trying to, but the jumper settings described on the drive are hard to figure out. Have tried a number of different settings. I thought since both showed up in disk management that they were probably jumpered correctly.

4. zeddy

zeddy

If you check on the drive manufacturers website you should get a diagram of which jumpers to use.............

5. nhagen

nhagen Thread Starter

Don't know why I didn't think of that before!

Thanks for your input.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just connect it to the secondary controller and have it be the only thing connected. Then you don't need to worry about any conflicts.

As you boot you can look at the CMOS and see how it is configured. Copy what you want. Then make sure whatever else is connected is not conflicting.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you want to add the 20 gigabyte disk, I'd remove the format from it and clone it with disk imaging software. I personally use Acronis True Image, but there are many other options. Then you can boot from the 20gig with exactly the same configuration you currently have, and have the 7gig drive for additional data. I'd suggest using it for backup. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/513769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice