1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gets trojans and not online

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Learner1, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Learner1

Learner1 Thread Starter

I reformated a mans pc the other day here at home but i took it to his house to get port #'s to get online for updates.We got 3 updates restarted and went back to updates and got pop ups galore.reformatted again OFF-LINE and still got pop ups. I have the pc at home again. What am i dealing with here?I am now in the process of installing ONLY the XP CD and not the other 3.

2. Rockn

Rockn

What three other were you installing? There is no way to get a virus while not online unless some media you are installing is already infected. If you are connected to a LAN you can also get infected if there are other computers on the same network that are also infected.

3. Learner1

Learner1 Thread Starter

The man has DSL and no other PC's on his.The cd's are #1-Compaq Restore plus,#2-XP Home Edition Setup,#3Restore Supplemental Software(Microsoft applications) and #4 Restore supplemental Software(Additional applications).He has a telephone type eathernet card that he doesn't even use in the back.His DSL connects directly to the PC.So,...you're telling me there's no way that maybe one of the CD's may be infected or a sector in the hard drive isn't allocated off to itself as maybe a worm or something?lol lol I know a little bout some pc's but not a lot bout all pc's.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you formatted a logical drive, you still could have had infections on other partitions or logical drives. But it would be hard to see how they could run if there were not some program calling them.

In any case if you do a complete repartition and reinstall -- make sure you have the XP firewall enabled before going for any updates.

5. Learner1

Learner1 Thread Starter

Windows formatted 38144 0f the 40 gig that it is.Will let u know what happens if i find a driver for his built in ethernet port if I even need one,sometime tonight or tomorrow evning.

6. Learner1

Learner1 Thread Starter

Do I need to install chipset drivers in this Compaq Presario before installing anything else,like I do on my Dell?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Whatever it might need should be on the HP/Compaq site for the system model. If you are not using their reinstall media, you may need to determine the motherboard model or chipset to get further info.

Anyway, this shouldn't be an issue with pop-ups.

PC Wizard is a pretty good system information utility that might be handy for you:

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

8. Learner1

Learner1 Thread Starter

O.K. guys the reinstall worked great.Out of the 4 restore CD's,I only run the XP operating system disk.Installed the chipset drivers,then the intergrated nic driver.Went to get updates but had to call 1-888 ###-#### to activate windows.The screen come up and said the product key I had entered had been used and exceded the limit or something.I have reformatted my pc 9 or 10 or so times and have never got that message.It don't ask me to register or activate or nothing.I get up date and validation tool laoded every time.Well anyway after windows was activated everything went smooth.Could his DSL modem box be infected and also he had a telephone ethernet card installed which he doesn't even need so I took it out befor the install.I have heard of hardware getting infected like that or even wiping it out.Thanks guys for hanging with me.Oh yeah,I got the needed drivers off of the 1st restore CD,..for the nic ,,sound ect..

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As I mentioned previously, once you reinstall the original operating system, if that OS was not SP2 then no firewall is enabled by default.

If you go on the web to do updates without manually enabling the firewall, chances are that the system will be attacked and infected within the first 30 minutes.

The chances of "hardware" being infected are, as far as I know, zero.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice