1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting 7b error on gateway pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by compguytn, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compguytn

compguytn Thread Starter

Hi All! I have a gateway dx4720 desktop with a mb.3609.002 motherboard, wdc wd6400aaks hard drive running(previously) with vista 64bit. It crashed and would stop intermittenly and finally completely crashed. while trying to boot it it would sometimes get to a bsod 7b. and most of the time it wouldnt even do that If it did the text would get all grainy and deteriorate. I took it to a comp shop and he said it was either mobo or memory sticks and wanted 300 to start fixing it. Im a pretty handy guy on fixing tractors so i figured id give it a whirl. so i replaced the ram sticks and it took care of the grainy issue and it works flawlessly all the way to the 7b stop code. it sometimes offer to go into safe mode or recovery mode but this just goes back to the 7b. I try to run memtest 86 and it works about 20 minutes and just freezes with no errors. then I made a usb with wdc hard drive tester and it too works for about 20 min and freezes. I put ubuntu on a laptop and tried doing that on this pc and it says cannot find the root? anyways I was leaning toward hard drive but I like to test it out to see whats up. I read that the bos version might need to be updated but I cant quite find out where to get it or how to load it. The wdc hard drive tester got me to dos command line once, i dont know if theres a way to get to command line through bios or at startup. I have 2 recovery disks that bestbuy made for me but those will give me a status bar loading up on the bottom and then i get to a 7b stop code. I am running seagate hard drive tester right now, it wouldn't take the v2 one i had to use the v112 to get it to work, but after that ets done ill post an update.
    Like I said I am new to computing and I know its an old system but fixing it would be nice to learn and im not gaming or doing video editing so this comp would suite my needs
    thanks

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If you can get into the BIOS, look for item #8 in this thread
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/stop0x0000007b.htm

It might also be a good idea to change the cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard.

Is the computer using wide gray cables or narrow red cables?

If narrow red, try putting the cable into a different slot on the motherboard.

3. compguytn

compguytn Thread Starter

well, i cannot find in bios where to change the sata settings on the drive. I have the narrow red cables. i swapped cables, and power cables between the cd drive and the hard drive to no avail.

4. Wurms

Wurms

If recovery disks are freezing, and hard drive testers are freezing, its more than likely the hard drive. You can run Hirens Boot CD from a CD or USB and it has tools to to check hard drives, or backup data. Lots of video tutorials, etc. on youtube for Hirens Boot CD. It basically runs an OS off the CD or USB and has a ton of preloaded tools to use.

Your computer is a 7+ year old system, if the drive is the original, its time for an upgrade anyways. Cheap fix too, and hard drives are always handy. Even if you upgrade to a new system in a year or so, you can pull your new HDD, and just toss it in an external case and now have a nice backup drive.

5. compguytn

compguytn Thread Starter

so i got hirens and booted it up, and it is awesome! it has every tool ive been trying to find and load! Ive narrowed it down to a drive bad, so i am getting one ordered and will try that out. any hints on setting it up and running my vista program?

6. compguytn

compguytn Thread Starter

UPDATE! O I was fairly certain that my hd was bad. So i bought a wd 1tb blue hd. Same manufacture as my other hd. popped that in with a new sata cable. also bought a windows 7 system builder disk since I didnt have a vista install disk and i didnt like windows 8 I got windows 7. problem is i have the exact same problem! I can get into bios good, the loading windows bar is good, then it gets to starting windows and just stops. I can get hirens boot cd on usb to boot up and use it. sometimes i can get the mini xp to work but most times not. any help?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice