1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting A Bad Smell From Inside My Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HowdeeDoodee, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HowdeeDoodee

HowdeeDoodee Thread Starter

I am getting a bad smell from inside my CRT monitor. Can anyone give me suggestions as to possible causes?

2. maceman

maceman

Hi HowdeeDoodee,

If it smells like burning, check out the ventilation holes and try to clean them. Capacitors smells funny sometimes too..

3. arknorth

arknorth

How old is it?

In many cases, the root cause of a dying CRT isn't the screen itself, but a processor board below it that contains a series of capacitors, usually including one or two the size of shotgun shells. When these go, they can do it in a number of ways - explosively, whimpish-wheezingly (ye high-pitched squeal of death), and sometimes grossly - some have an oil inside them that will leak and make bad smells.

'Course, it could also be something like dust accumulation on hot capacitors, which also isn't good for them.

A-N

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927874