1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting a Black Screen with a flashing indicator, after the DELL intro at startup.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daisybee, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daisybee

daisybee Thread Starter

I resetted the BIOS and computer restarted, however, it now reads Performing IDE configuration. Under that it reads; Primary Master: IDE configuration.....
    Secondary Master: CD-ROM Reader
    Secondary Slave: CD-ROM Reader
    After that, I can't do nothing. What do I do next?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

After resetting the BIOS you need to set the device boot order to CDROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd (suggested). If you have a SATA hard drive you need to set the SATA controller mode to what it was before. This is usually with RAID disabled, and IDE mode or AHCI mode. If you don't remember the original settings, you may need to play around with it until you computer can boot.
    What is the Dell service tag number for your computer?

3. daisybee

daisybee Thread Starter

The service tag number is HQSC921

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

According to Dell documentation the Primary 1 and Secondary 1 controllers are set to "Off" by default, which would be after a reset. Try going to the BIOS Setup and choose 'Auto' for Primary 0, Secondary 0, Primary 1 and Secondary 1.

5. daisybee

daisybee Thread Starter

I changed all of the drives to auto, they all read unknown device except for Primary 0 which lists Hard Drive. Went back to the startup screen and it reads; Primary hard disk drive 1 not found, Secondary hard disk drive 0 not found, Secondary hard disk drive 1 not found. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    On the Dell Dimensions with IDE Drives, the drives have to set to Cable Select on the drive itself. Having them set to any other configuration (Master, or Slave) gives me the same problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice