1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting a laptop today. I have some final important questions before I go and buy it.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheFamilyGuy, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheFamilyGuy

TheFamilyGuy Thread Starter

Toshiba Satellite (can't remember model, sorry)
    Price: $1600 CND
    Processor: 2.6 Ghz Pentium 4
    (I think it's got Centrino chip)
    RAM: 512 MB
    Cache: 512 KB
    Bus: I think around 400 Mhz
    Harddrive: 40 GB at 4200rpm
    64MB Graphics card
    DVD/CD-RW drive
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN and V.92/56K modem
    Integrated Wi-Fi (802.11g)
    Screen: 15" XGA
    Also comes with a bit of software, the best being MS Office 2004

Some of the stats may be a bit off, but the only major one would be that the RAM might actually only be 256MB.

OK, so I'm wondering if these stats are good for a 1600 CND laptop.

It will be used for:

Online gaming
    Word Processing
    Watching small video files, listening to music (no editing)
    Internet surfing/research
    Homework (probably gonna buy external floppy drive)
    And I will be travelling with it

Questions

1) Would a laptop like this be able to run something like, let's say, Warcraft very easily? What about something like Morrowind or Halo? (if your good with PC gaming, please give me an idea of what the gaming limitations would be)

2) When I get this home, could I hook my cable connection into it and get online easily? Or would I have to do a bunch of complicated crap to get it running?

3) I'm gonna get a three year extended warranty, so is there anywhere I can go to read up on Toshiba's warranty information (what it covers, what it doesn't, and so on)? Also, what happens if I get it home and it won't work for some reason (if it's a lemon)? Can I get a new one, or am I screwed? (don't have a lot of experience with warranties (0 experience, actually))

4) For anyone who owns Toshiba Satellites, are they fairly durable? If I took it, let's say, hiking for example (not that I would, but still), it should be fine, right?

5) Could I use a crossover cable to transfer files from my old computer onto the laptop?

6) Is a Toshiba the best way to go, as opposed to Compaq/HP, Averatec, Sony, etc.?

Thanks a lot for any help. I know its long, but I'm only 15 (I do need it though, so don't say that) and I don't wanna blow 2000 bucks. I need to be informed about these things before I walk in there and buy it.

2. zeddy

zeddy

Depends on what the video card is, if its a mobililty Radeon 9600 or a Geforce 5600 equivalent - it will run the games you mention.

3. zeddy

zeddy

1) Would a laptop like this be able to run something like, let's say, Warcraft very easily? What about something like Morrowind or Halo? (if your good with PC gaming, please give me an idea of what the gaming limitations would be)

If you are really into gaming, a Laptop will not perform as well as an equivalently priced desktop

2) When I get this home, could I hook my cable connection into it and get online easily? Or would I have to do a bunch of complicated crap to get it running?

With WinXp you should be able to just use the OS built in wizard to get your cable off and running in a couple of minutes

3) I'm gonna get a three year extended warranty, so is there anywhere I can go to read up on Toshiba's warranty information (what it covers, what it doesn't, and so on)? Also, what happens if I get it home and it won't work for some reason (if it's a lemon)? Can I get a new one, or am I screwed? (don't have a lot of experience with warranties (0 experience, actually))

If the warranty covers parts and labour then it should cover all you need for the 3 years, most problems occur in the first year so you have to weigh up the value of the extended warranty

4) For anyone who owns Toshiba Satellites, are they fairly durable? If I took it, let's say, hiking for example (not that I would, but still), it should be fine, right?

It is fairly robust, if you were taking it hiking - get a second battery!

5) Could I use a crossover cable to transfer files from my old computer onto the laptop?

Should be able to do this

6) Is a Toshiba the best way to go, as opposed to Compaq/HP, Averatec, Sony, etc.?

Toshiba is a good brand, Sonys are overpriced for the spec, I like Dell and Acer

Thanks a lot for any help. I know its long, but I'm only 15 (I do need it though, so don't say that) and I don't wanna blow 2000 bucks. I need to be informed about these things before I walk in there and buy it.

Really need to check what the graphics are in the Laptop for you gaming needs - if its the portability have you considered a micro PC and TFT screen as an alternative (Shuttle or Lanboy)

4. zeddy

zeddy

Get a USB memory key for your homework - cheaper than the external floppy, more reliable and vastly more storage.

5. TheFamilyGuy

Thanks a lot zeddy, that helped a lot. As for the graphics card, I think it was a Radeon. And I don't think the USB key would work because the computers at our school don't have USB ports (And if they do, they must be hidden in the back somewhere). So in this case, would external floppy be the way to go?

6. TheFamilyGuy

Oh, and how much do the USB keys cost? (I might want to get one anyway)

7. shadowcat

shadowcat

Depends on how much memory you want. It starts at 64MB (about US$30) and can go up to about 1 GB (about US$250+). Check out Newegg.com for an idea.

8. TheFamilyGuy

OK, and these just plug into a USB slot, store the data, and can be transfer to any other computer through it's USB slot? So it works just like a floppy?

9. zeddy

zeddy

Yes,

WinXP picks them up as a removable drive when you insert them, they are hot pluggable and are really useful.

Does the toshiba not come with a floppy drive internally? if not does it not have hot swappable bays so you can stick a second drive (hard or floppy) in or a second battery?

10. TheFamilyGuy

No, it doesn't have a floppy drive built in, but I think it does have a spot for a second battery (didn't know you could put drives in there).

11. zeddy

zeddy

Can you double check that the processor is a P4 or a P4M and NOT a Celeron, on a Google search similar spec satellites are coming up a 2.6ghz celeron - NOT recommended.

12. TheFamilyGuy

It's definately a P4

13. TheFamilyGuy

But is the Celeron really that bad? Theres another one with a Celeron that I saw, and it had slightly better stats.

14. Fastlane247

Fastlane247 It's My Birthday!

If your number 1 use for the laptop is to do online gaming i do not recommend getting a laptop... they are not good at all for gaming... warcraft 3 should be fine but if you ever wanted to play like unreal tournament 2004 or somthing it will never happen.... the screen refresh rate is not good for games plus the speed of everything on a laptop is alot slower then a desktop....

15. TheFamilyGuy

Ya, I know, but I really do need a laptop. And gaming won't be that important anyway (Warcraft is actually all I play)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice