Getting a laptop today. I have some final important questions before I go and buy it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
it is not half as good as the normal pentium 4... i dont ever recommend getting one... that is my opinion.... but then again i am a big amd fan so dont know how good my word on that is :)

a 2.6 Ghz is not a centrino it would be a pentium 4 M. If gamng is important a P4M might be a better choise than a centrino. Your battery life will be less with the P4M

Steve L

sorry my mistake i didnt see the p4m ... you are right there is a pentium 4 m and a pentium M which would be the centrino

Avoid a celeron - its a cut down P4 and performs as such.

If you are sure its a P4 2.6ghz then thats fine.

The pentium4M is faster but consumes more power and makes more heat. The Centrino list a lower speed but they are faster than you think if you only compare the clock speed. A 1.4ghz Centrino will match a 2 Ghz Pentium 4. Also the Centrino will always run at full speed. The pentium 4M will often run at half speed when on the battery to save power. The latest 2 laptop in my house are centrino. I have been pleased, but they have not been used for gaming.

Steve L

TheFamilyGuy

Alright, now in that link, it says the battery life is 2 hours. That seems short, I mean if I'm just on the internet will it really only last 2 hours

ya the battery will only last that long if you are lucky... i am a tech support agetn for compaq laptops and our best model with centreno chip gets only 3 hours max

TheFamilyGuy

OK, well maybe I'll get a backup then. I'm going to buy it in about an hour so thanks for everyone's help.

Look at the processor It says pentium 4 not 4M (translate, fast but eats power and makes gobs of heat) Be sure it is a mobile processor. I agree with fastlane247 the battery life Is always very optimistic. My 1.3ghz and 1.4ghz centrino (avaritech ans gateway) will last 2 to 3 hours when being used, even though they say 5 hours.

steve L

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!