Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting a new hp notebook. 1500-2000 budget. Need some help :)

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Zizou10 
#1 ·
:confused: Hello guys. Im needing some help here as Im not too rich and I want an ok gaming pc with this budget which are my savings of hard work :)

I have made some little research and have concluded that HPs laptops r the best for me. However if u would like to reccomend other, plz do it!

-> http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/notebooks/dv9000t_series/3/computer_store
-> http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/notebooks/dv9000z_series/3/computer_store

This is my internal fight:

dv9000t series vs dv9000z series.

dv9000t
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (100GB x 2)
price: $1,658.99

dv9000z
AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-64(2.2GHz/1MB)
2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (100GB x 2)
price: $1,567.99

Another internal fight:
256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600 vs 512NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
for 150 $ more, is it worth?

:eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Zizou I am actually in the exact same boat as you right now. I'm looking for a sub 2k notebook. Here are a few things you might find useful that I did:

The Centrino's have just gone through a yearly hardware refresh called Santa Rosa. Since these are brand new Centrino's not all the notebooks that will use them are avaliable yet. By around the end of June though, they should all be pretty much on the market. I'd really suggest waiting until at least then before you upgrade.

Now the mods here may kill me for this, but I found notebookreview.com and specifically their What notebook should I buy? section to be very helpful.

Personally I'm leaning towards getting a Compal IFL90 barebones and customizing it with powernotebooks.com. Here's the deal i was able to get on their site:
PowerPro J 10:15 FORCE

Display: 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) "Glossy" LCD w/PCI-e nVIDIA GeForce Go 8600 w/512MB (Shipping mid-June)
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz Processor w/4MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB
System Memory: 2,048MB (2 SODIMMS) DDR2/667 Dual Channel Memory
Intel® Turbo Memory (Robson): 1GB Intel® Turbo Memory (Robson) - (Vista Only)
Hard Drive: 100GB SATA/150 Seagate Hard Drive at 7,200 RPM
CD/DVD Read/Writer: Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW Drive w/Softwares
Wireless Networking: Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11a/g/n
Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth Wireless 2.0+EDR
AC Adapter: Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter
PowerPro 3-Year Warranty: 3 Year Warranty - Next Business Day Shipping - Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Tech Support
Cost: $1,874.00
Just be aware the above is a pre-order, so it's likely not the exact specific specs. But in comparision to what your looking at this has the T7700 proc, which is .2 ghz faster, plus it's FSB is 800mgz. Also the gfx card is a 8600, which means it will also support DX10 games (on a laptop no less :D). Though it's not as fast as the GeForce Go 7950 GTX 512MB, it's more future proof.

The cost above is with all the fancy things like bluetooth. If you don't want all the bells and whistles then you could likely knock another hundred or two.

Also the above has a 15.4" monitor instead of the 17" monster you are looking at. Honestly, if it was avaliable I would get a 14.1" with similiar specs. If you plan on doing any moving around at all it will be very hard with a 17" notebook. If however you intend it as a desktop replacement then it should be fine.

The big upside of the notebooks you list is their larger HD space. But if you have a desktop then I would just offload a lot of that to your desktop.

#3 ·
Thank you jubilant u r right about the HD, I have a desktop too and having a large HD space its not that necessary. Im going to wait for june and try to get a smaller laptop with better graphic cards and processor, just like yours!

Edit: Just checked the powernotebook site, just built a laptop like yours. What do u think about getting a 4 gb ram memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.