getting a printer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mom4711

I am wanting to buy a new printer. I am not sure which one to go with Lexmark,HP. I had an Epson in the past but when it messed up the tech support was terrible so I will not buy another Epson. We are just needing a printer for school projects, letters, and maybe photos. It will not be used alot but would like to get one that is at a reasonable price. We will use ink refills instead of buying new cartridges. So it will have to be easy to fill cartridges.
Thanks for the advice :)

I have a Lexmark Z32. The cartridges are easy to fill. The printer is not expensive (under $62). Works fine for small projects.

For a basic printer I like HP. The black cartridges are falling off a log easy to refill. Use the instructions with the set screw from www.oddparts.com Oddparts sells only by the pint, but www.inksupply.com has excellent ink in smaller quantities. I have no problem buying black ink in pints and use the premium pigmented black ink. The colors are better bought in smaller quantities. I think the pigmented black from MIS is exactly the same stuff as the Oddparts WJ1010 premium black. Don’t let the cartridge go empty, and if it does refill it immediately. Be careful to go very slow on the first refill as HP ink doesn’t have anti-foam ingredients and you can get an air block your first refill.

When I used any of the online instructions for the HP color I had problems. If you oversaturate the sponges ink will run out of the heads and contaminate the other colors. So the instructions say to wait until a color is empty and just add a specific measured amount of ink. I do better sampling each color with the syringe and adding just enough to stop about ¼ inch from the top. You have problems if you let them get empty. My vet gave me a 4 inch horse needle which helps to get the ink deep in the cartridge.

Stick with the 4 color models for general purpose use. The new 6 color HPs have too small a black cartridge and you would have to refill it too often. The standard black cartridge on a 4 color model will hold 42ml of ink where the black cart on the 6 color units holds only 17ml. You also have to buy the pigmented black cartridge to get good text with them. The 4 Color HPs give decent photos, but not as good as the 6 color dedicated photo printers from Epson and Canon. But those photo printers don’t give great text.

One super thing about HP is that they never seem to clog. The heads dock against a docking pad that stays moist with ink. It takes a little ink to keep the pads moist, but not nearly as much as the cleaning cycles take on the Epsons and Canons. I hooked my old HP 722 up which had been stored for 3 years with the cartridges installed. It still printed. Great printers for someone who leaves their printers for periods without using them. I have no experience at all with Lexmarks, but they are very cheap for the quality. Everyone says they make up for the price by raping you on replacement ink, but that wouldn’t be a concern if you refill.

Canon cartridges are also easy to refill. Canons tend to clog like Epsons if left unused, but you can pull the heads to soak them. The bottom half of this has some reviews of inexpensive general purpose printers: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,107687,00.asp I would look around for other reviews – everyone seems to have differing opinions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online