1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting a specific chart in Word 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JanOos, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JanOos

JanOos Thread Starter

Ive been struggling all day with this problem. I need to set up a standard stacked bar chart bu instead of it starting at 0 I need it to start at a negative number. The reason for this is that my "series 1" goes from a negative number to a positive number and then "series 2" continues further upwards from there. Each series represents a specific scoring category
    Then I need to place a dot or a cross or something at a specific value in order to show in which category a specific member lies.
    Please can someone help me.

2. The Villan

The Villan

Welcome to TSG JanOos

Can you please upload an example spreadsheet, so that we can see exactly what you mean and help you further.

You do that by clicking on Go Advanced, and scrolling down until you see Attach Files and click on the Manage Attachments.
    Where it says upload file from your computer, click on the Browse button and find the file on your computer (don't worry, it is safe) and once you have found the file, select it and then click on Open. Then click on the Upload button and wait until it has done that. Once done, you can close that window and then click on Submit Reply

3. JanOos

JanOos Thread Starter

Knowing how to set up the spreadsheet is part of the problem. I have no idea how it should be set up. I have uploaded a paint image that is basically what I want, except that it looks very unprofessional and is not nearly to scale. It does however give the basic idea.
    I basically need to show my bos where our company lies and how close it is to moving to the next level. The problem comes with needing the negative part of the graph. As well as how to insert the dot to show where we lie.

Attached Files:

4. The Villan

The Villan

OK
    Can you then give me some figures to work with.

So e.g

Y axis descriptions and X axis descriptions and the numbers

I am attaching a very simple example of how one might set up the data and the sort of chart. So if you can give me details like that, I will develope it for you with instructions on how I did it.

By the way, my example bears no relationship with what you want, but just serves to expain how I need your data.

Attached Files:

5. JanOos

JanOos Thread Starter

As I mentioned before it needs to be a stacked bar chart. The chart then has 3 types and three names. (using the wording as used by you in the example you sent)
    For the first Name (Name A) the three series must be:
    Type 1: from -5 to 4
    Type 2: from 4 to 18 and
    Type 3: from 18 upwards
    For Name B:
    Type 1: From -2 to 4
    Type 2: From 4 to 17
    Type 3: From 17 upwards

For both of these Names the comapny stands at 0 (so somewhere in the middle of type 1) and I need a big mark to indicate this.

For Name C:
    Type 1: From -1 to 5
    Type 2: From 5 to 16
    Type 3: From 16 upwards

I dont know yet where the company fits in on this one. Still trying to calculate it.

The main problem comes in with the negative numbers and the area of the chart extending from the negative accross into the positive.

6. The Villan

The Villan

Jan
    Are you saying that for example

Name A type 1 can be any number from -5 up to 4
    Name A Type 2 can be any number from 4 to 18 and
    Name A Type 3 can be any number from 18 upwards

7. JanOos

JanOos Thread Starter

Something like that yes. Basically, if the company's performance in a specific area (Name) lies between -5 and 4 it falls into the class of type 1. Or something like that. I need to show in which class the company lies for each area and how close it is to moving to the next class

8. The Villan

The Villan

Well, I managed to achieve the following. Is that anything like what you are looking for?

Attached Files:

9. JanOos

JanOos Thread Starter

Sorry about the long time before replying but Ive been out of office.
    The last chart you sent is still nowhere close to what I was looking for sorry. Im beginning to think that what I want is completely impossible. Or is it perhaps that Im not relaying to you what I need clearly enough? Im not entirely sure how to better explain to you what it is that I require.

10. The Villan

The Villan

Jan
    It may well be difficult to get what you want. However, it would help considerably if you could put a simple spreadsheet up on here, so that we can use your data, to try and achieve what you need.
    I sort of know what you need, but unless I see how your data looks in the spreadsheet, it makes it very difficult to get any further.
    Cheers
    Les

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice