1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting a UK IP address in the US

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RedStar001, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RedStar001

RedStar001 Thread Starter

Hello! Quite recently my IP address is being recognized as coming from the UK, leaving me unable to access region locked content on some websites.

I live in the US (New York) and my ISP is Time Warner. I've done reset my router, done the IPConfig release/renew deal, but everytime I see to get a UK based IP address.

Even when I go to google.com, it bumps me right over to google.co.uk.

What would cause this to happen? Did Time Warner outsource their IP distribution? I'm rather confused.

2. Miles_2397

Miles_2397

3. RedStar001

RedStar001 Thread Starter

It doesn't give a region. When I go to google maps, it automaticly centers me on Edinburgh, England.

When I go to the geotrace website, it does show me in NY.

When I go to http://adultswim.com (Cartoon Network website despite the title) and try to watch full episodes of shows, such as Family Guy or Venture Bros, I get a warning message saying the shows aren't licenced for viewing outside of the US. That's when I noticed google.com had started knocking me to google.co.uk.

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Contact Time Warner. See if they can figure out why you are showing as the UK, not US.

As to the google thing, only logical explaination that I can think of is that you have some sort of malware, in which case you should go to our Security section.

Last thing, when you did the release/renew, was that on the router or pc?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice