1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting an APIPA address

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by LinuxOS, Jun 1, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

Dear All,

I have an issue here! Some of Domain Computers when they shutdown by users in the end of the working hours they are loosing IP address? And in the morning when users turn on their PC's (some of them) they are getting an APIPA address starting with: 169 and when I perform ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew its getting the IP like before? Is there any method to fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What handles DHCP on the network? Have you checked if it's showing any errors? Are you running out of DHCP addresses? What if you create a couple reservations for a few of the affected computers? How long are the leases?

Are all the affected computers on the same switch does it have any green features for power savings that can be turned off? I've seen some network cards have trouble auto negotiate link speeds after being turned off or sleeping. If I recall the NIC manufacturer released some driver updates and as a work around recommended setting the NIC's link speed manually or disabling it's power management speed so that it would always be a gigabit

4. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

Hi Triple6,
    First of all thanks so much for your kind reply! I just checked all computers that are set/active on Reservation are not affected by this issue I just put this computer on Reservation and lets see if it will happen again! Also just checked DHCP we are OK with IP'sm and there is no any error appearing! I just checked lights on switch most of them are blinking (both green) and some green+orange whats that means? :( Thanks in advance for you help. Looking forward for your advice

5. tecknurd

tecknurd

6. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

Alright guys thanks so much for your gold advice's regards!

7. srhoades

srhoades

Make sure you have enough addresses in the scope to go around. If they are all leased out then they will not get an address.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice