Getting an Navw32.EXE. error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DustyJersey

Everytime I try to run my Norton Antivirus program I get this Navw32.EXE. error. I'm very new at this. I have a WindowsME-pentium III, thanks for any advice or help that you can send my way. Peace, DustyJersey

DustyJersey

TOGG, RE:getting an error message from my Norton AntiVirus-it's a 2000 and I believe it is a suite w/something called LiveAdvisor(Symantec Corp) & LiveUpdate 1.6(Symantec Corp).
I was advised that there is a new threat that disables Norton and that I will have to reinstall it. Not looking forward to this-I'm learning the hands on way:). Thank you for your help, I wish you a happy and healthy new year. Peace, Dusty

DustyJersey

tonkacat, RE:getting an error message from my Norton AntiVirus. Thank you for the two articles explaining the bad news. I will be following this to see how to improve my problem. I would like to wish you a happy and healthy new year. Peace, DustyJersey

If you've already done the uninstall/reinstall, I hope it went well!

If not, I think you may want to read the Symantec advisory again, because it suggests that only the later versions of NAV (2004 onward) may be affected by this exploit. It doesn't actually say 2000 is not affected, but the inference is possible.

If your version will work at all, try running Live Update and see what happens. It is possible that your program is just too old to accept some of the latest program updates that Symantec have issued. They stopped supporting 2000 some time ago (although definitions may still be available for older versions).

It may be time to replace NAV with a later version or another (better) program like Kapersky or NOD32. Alternatively, you could try one of the free programs, Avast or AVG.

DustyJersey

TOGG,
Thank you for your further advice. I have not uninstalled the NAV as of yet. I have disabled it. There are so many programs on this machine. I purchased it used from a pawn shop. I have been looking up alot of the stuff on the internet and really haven't got much further on what to uninstall and what to keep. There is several 'Microsoft Office' programs and I don't publish. I don't know when or how often to run the 'Tune Up Application' or the 'PC Health Scheduler for Data Collection', or how often to run the three items in the 'Maintenance Wizard'. Now you can understand what a Junior, I really am. Hope your day is sunny. Peace, DustyJersey

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the programs you mention (they don't seem to be standard issue with '98) so I can't help.

If you have NAV disabled whatever limited protection it was capable of giving is no longer working so, unless you already have an alternative AV, you really do need to give priority to a replacement. If you go to the Security forum and look at the Security Help Tools thread at the top, you should find some useful links.

Old versions of NAV can sometimes interfere with the installation of other programs. Post back if you have any difficulties.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online