Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting an XP laptop to fully work on a Mac wireless network

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  hwiesner 
#1 ·
I am running a wireless network through my Airport Extreme. Three Macs (MacBookPro [airport admin], G4 PowerBook, and G3 PowerBook) work seamlessly sharing a printer and iTunes. There is also a Compaq Presario laptop running XP Pro -SP2 that can connect as far as internet connectivity is concerned. I can't, however, get the Compaq to find the network printer through Bonjour and also the Compaq can't access my iTunes libraries as the Macs can. Interestingly, the name of Compaq's iTunes library shows on the Macs but won't open. Any suggestions? It doesn't appear to be a firewall issue.

#2 ·
I'm guessing the print sharing on the Mac is not compatible with Windows SMB, and so Windows can't access it. I'm not a MAC person, so that's just a guess... :)

#3 ·
JohnWill said:
I'm guessing the print sharing on the Mac is not compatible with Windows SMB, and so Windows can't access it. I'm not a MAC person, so that's just a guess... :)
=======
Would that account for Bonjour for Windows not seeing the printer? Using Bojour on my Parallels installed XP on my MacBookPro found the printer right away.

Thanks anyway for the quick reply.

#5 ·
You might try going into Printers and Faxes and create a port (using the ip address of the machine sharing the printer). Once it is created use the custom port settings:

Protocol = Raw.

Port Number = 9101

Click ok.

This is how you would do it if the printer was connected to an Airport.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.