1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Bumped off Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gardengail63, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gardengail63

gardengail63 Thread Starter

I just got an Acer Aspire 3680 laptop from a friend. It's just a few months old. I have restored it to how it was when purchased originally. Before restoring it and still currently, I cannot stay connected to the internet.

Computer is Acer Aspire 3680
    Wireless adapter: atheros AR5005G
    IP address 192.168.1.66
    Verizon DSL
    Modem/Router: Actiontec GT704WG
    WEP

When viewing the available networks, sometimes ours will shop up with 100% and sometimes with just 20% which doesn't make sense since it's right here in the house. I tried connecting to the neighbor's (he gave me his code) and it connected but also kicked me off. Sometimes the other networks in the area show up with stronger signals than ours. We have a 2nd desktop that connects just fine with a Linksys router.

:confused: Let me kow if you need any other info to help with this connection problem.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "We have a 2nd desktop that connects just fine with a Linksys router."

You are using two different routers? You have them on different channels, right?

Does the laptop connect to the Linksys router?

Are any of those other strong networks on the same (or close) channel as yours? If so, you want to get away from them. In North America the non interfering channels are 1, 6 and 11.

Is there anything else that could be wirelessly interfering with the laptop--such as a microwave or a 2.4Ghz cordless phone?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about a complete description of all the equipment, as well as exactly how they're all connected.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
    Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify.
    Make/model of the router (if any).
    Connection type, wired, wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
    Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
    Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

4. gardengail63

gardengail63 Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses. Here is a complete list of the equipment as requested.

Main computer: Dell Dimension 4700
    Uses an Actiontec GT704WG Wireless DSL Modem/Router to connect to Internet
    WEP

Second computer: Dell Dimension E310
    Uses Lynksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapter (I mistakenly said this was a router-sorry)

Laptop computer: Acer Aspire 3680
    Wireless adapter: atheros AR5005G
    IP address 192.168.1.66

ISP: Verizon
    USA

You mention channels -- how do you know what channel it is on?
    There are two cordless phones in our house but they've not interfered with our Lynksys connecting. Could they interfere with the laptop connecting?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd try other channels. If your signal isn't that strong, it may be time to consider measures to increase the signal strength.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a couple of examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most adapters/utilities will tell you the channel--view (or scan for) available networks, select a network. If channel is not shown you may have to go to 'details' or some such option.

You can also use the free NetStumbler--it lists the networks and channels and strengths on one page for easy comparison. www.netstumbler.com

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/621835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice