1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting "Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives" message on slave drive with Data ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheZeds, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheZeds

TheZeds Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Hope you can help, this has been driving me nuts for some time now.

Not quite sure what triggered this issue but I have recently been unable to access (play media or music, delete, modify ) any files on my internal SATA slave drive ( B:\ ). Everything seems to work ok on the internal primary drive ( C:\ ). Recent files are held on C:\ , then transferred to B:\ for archiving, back-up or when C:\ is running low on space.

Sometimes when trying to access a file or directory on the B:\ drive I get an I/O error, but even when this error does not appear, I still cannot play or view the mp3, avi or jpeg.

I read somewhere that perhaps the permissions or User Controls have been messed up. I disabled User Account Control in Vista and tried to modify permissions, as they were not the same as the directories permissions on the C:\ drive. It worked for most files, but some are still inaccessible, I get the I/O error.

I tried to run a chkdsk on B:\ and get the error "Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives"

But the drives are both listed as NTFS in the Disk Management System.

Any thoughts on how to get the disk working again, or recover the existing data ? As it stands I cannot even copy files to C:\ to try and recover them.

Hope I have provided enough information.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

First of all, don't use chkdsk. Chkdsk is still the best tool for file system repair, and even most third-party disk scanners use chkdsk behind the curtain. So it is a great tool, at the right time.

The problem with chkdsk is that it assumes that the data it sees in the partition table is correct. It does its repairs based on that, so if it is wrong, it scrambles files to unrecoverable atoms.

It looks like you may have lost your partition table. Try restoring it.

Testdisk
    Testdisk Boot Floppy Image
    Testdisk on Live CD

3. TheZeds

TheZeds Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil,

I am currently away from the home pc, but will try in a couple hours.

I assume I will download Testdisk to my C:\ drive and run from there. I expect there is a toggle to select the drive I want to Test.

Thanks for the quick reply, will advise the outcome once I have tried to restore as you suggested.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The Windows version is the best to use since you can boot up. It will run in a small window resembling a command prompt window.

You will want to scan the drive for partitions, pick the one it finds that is the right size, and then write the changes to disk. It will not affect your files, so mistakes will not be fatal and make the files any more unrecoverable. You could still try recovery software later.

Testdisk requires some intelligent guessing and is not the easiest program in the world to use. But it works as well as anything you can buy and has saved a lot of people in this forum.

5. TheZeds

TheZeds Thread Starter

ok... downloaded and unzipped.

- started TestDisk and Analyse Functions (with log)
    - No partitions identified ( got Disk Read Error)
    - only option was search ? So started search and several Read Errors later.. still analysing cylinders ( at 91/121600, 00%)
    - will leave it running and report what it ends up with, looks like it will take a while !

Thanks

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Read errors? Is it possible that drive is failing? How old?

7. TheZeds

TheZeds Thread Starter

its about a year or two old ??

shall i keep it running... or stop ?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Might as well let it look. But if you get that partition back, you better save your data as soon as you can. You should test the drive, but data should be recovered first since a test can send a bad drive over the edge.

If Testdisk won't do it, try getting your files at least.

Free recovery applications:

DiskDigger & NTFSWalker
    Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
    Smart Data Recovery
    Recover Files
    Roadkil's Undelete
    Recuva
    Restoration
    Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    Softperfect File Recovery
    ADRC Data Recovery Tools
    Undelete Plus
    Data Recovery
    PCI File Recovery
    DriveRescue
    Ultimate Data Recovery
    Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
    Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
    GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
    Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
    File Scavenger
    Recover My Files
    RecoverPlus Pro
    Zero Assumption Recovery
    [email protected] File Recovery
    Final Recovery
    Recover4All Professional
    Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
    NTFS Recovery

9. TheZeds

TheZeds Thread Starter

OK thanks,

Its still churning away, at a snails pace, looks like it may be a few days ?

- Do the recovery applications work if the partition is not detected ? Since I can still see the drive and files but cannot access them ?
    - Is there a recommended Free application for my situation ?
    - can I try to recover groups of files at a time (perhaps by folder ?) or do i need to go after individual files ?
    - does all this have to be done while the drive is still in the pc ? Or can I take it out into a USB enclosure ?

Thanks again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/835708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice