1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting critical error messages

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rodney D, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rodney D

Rodney D Thread Starter

Hello all.

A few weeks ago I bought a new CPU/motherboard combo, RAM, Power Supply and case to become the new core of an upgraded computer.

I bought an Abit BD-7 motherboard with Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz processor installed and 512MB of PC2100 DDR RAM along with the case and PSU. I then put in my old 13GB HD, my DVD-ROM, CDRW and my Visiontek Xtasy Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB DDR video card from my old system (a Gateway I got in 1999).

Here is a sample of the messages I would get when I play games like Asheron's Call 2 and Warcraft 3. I don't know yet if this happens in other programs but I don't get any other faults in any other program yet.

===========

This application has encountered a critical error:

FATAL ERROR!

Program:c:\program files\warcraft iii\war3.exe
    Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 001B:6F0811D9

The instruction at '0x6F0811D9' referenced memory at '0xD87C34C7'.
    The memory could not be 'read'.

Press OK to terminate the application.

============

I thought this could be two possibilities. Either I have some flaw in my DDR RAM chip or its a problem with my hard-drive.

I downloaded and ran the program DOCMEMORY and let it run through its tests. I let it run for over 40 minutes and it seemed to be going through the same test series' over and over (It ran RAM then extended memory, about 6 or 7 tests each, and then seemed to start over) so I shut it down. All tests were OK.

I then ran the error checking tool on the HD (I assume this replaces Scandisk as I don't see it anywhere else in my menus) and it said it could only do it when I restarted windows. I did, it ran through a test, but I never saw any results. It just went right into Windows again without any indication of how things went.

Now, about the HD. Ive had this thing for a while. When I rebuilt my system I did not reformat the HD and re-install everything. I booted Windows XP from my DVD-ROM and it had an option to repair Windows, which I assume just tells Windows about my new hardware.

Everything works fantastically well except for this annoying problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Richardhtml

Richardhtml

Try unistalling and reinstalling warcraft iii, or check the manufactures website for download patch for the OS.
    Richardhtml

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you install a new copy of windows on this computer or did you transplant your windows from the old computer? If you didn't install windows fresh, thats what I would do - format then reinstall.

4. rockinmale

rockinmale

I certainly would second that notion of reloading windows.

Unfortunately, you cannot install a major hardware upgrade and get away with not reformatting your hard drive. You will run into problems.

Save yourself the turmoil.....
    Backup and reformat the hard drive

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice