1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting data from an old harddrive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pmd14, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pmd14

pmd14 Thread Starter

Hi folks,
    I had a old PC which has just crashed but there is still some of my stuff, like photos, music, documents saved on this drive..which, of course I didn't back up.
    If I remove the hard drive and install it in my new machine will it just appear as a second drive?
    My new machine is running Windows Media and I don't want to do any damage by installing a hard drive that has XP OS on it

Or am I concerned unnecessarily

2. Blitze105

Blitze105

The answer to your first question, is yes. As to the second, yes and no. When you unplug the hard drive, make sure you set it to "slave" in the jumpers on the back. Then you may safely plug it into the new computer. That is to say that the hard drive that willb e your slave is virus free...
    -blitze

3. pmd14

pmd14 Thread Starter

Thanks for that - so if I have the drive to slave I should be able to pull the info of it by drag and drop right?

4. Blitze105

Blitze105

That is correct.
    -blitze

5. pmd14

pmd14 Thread Starter

Worked fine - data is recovered!
    Thanks for your help

6. Blitze105

Blitze105

No problem, i suggest formating that hard drive and using it as a back up...
    -blitze

7. pmd14

pmd14 Thread Starter

I have 2 PC's with two seperate hard drives both with a lot of data on them. Can I set one as a slave and install it in the first machine.
    So when I boot the machine the second hard drive will show up as an extra drive and I can retrieve docs from it and store them back to there??? Basically what I want to do is use the one PC but keep the data on the 2 hard drives seperate.
    Or will I have some issue with programs working using the second drive?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!