1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting data from old hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shedlord2, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shedlord2

shedlord2 Thread Starter

I've been asked to retrieve the data from a very old 'server' running Netware 4.11. This 'server' is made up of 4 IDE disks and serves to a group of old applemacs via an appletalk module in Netware.

Anyway, I don't have much experience of this kind of thing but thought I could pop each disk in turn into an external hard drive box I have handy, plug this into a PC and see/copy files across.

The results were as follows:

Two of these drives don't seem to get picked up at all when I do this (ie. no device is detected at the other end of the USB cable). Tried switching between master/slave jumper settings but no change.

One is seen but doesn't get allocated a drive letter. I followed some instructions for manually allocating a drive letter but I wasn't allowed to open the resulting drive.

One drive mounts but only seems to have a load of Netware system files on - none of the databases and files shared seem to be on there (or are they hidden somehow?)

I'm sure there's something wrong with my method, possibly the using of a USB external drive case?

Any suggestions how I can do this? Thanks

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

3. shedlord2

shedlord2 Thread Starter

Put a metal box around the Maplin device and you have pretty much the kind of thing I'm using anyway. As for taking ownership of the files, if I get to the point where I can see the files I'll be happy!

4. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

"Very Old MAC"

What file system was the server although io course you may not know.

What file system are you using.

Win 98 or older will not see NTFS drives properly.

You may need to install or connect the sdrives to a MAC if they were partitioned and using a MAC file system.

The file systems used in MAC's and PC's are different.

I don't know of a way to read a MAC file system drive with a PC

Ceri

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Hmmm...

Novell NetWare is the same general structure and file system as Linux (as far as I know). Windows wouldn't be able to see them no matter what.

If you can slave the drives to a Linux box, it may be possible (don't ask me how, though. I'm still a newbie when Linux is concerned).

6. shedlord2

shedlord2 Thread Starter

Ceri - The files are shared to a group of Macs but the file system on the disks is Netware, with an appletalk module that allows the macs to share.

techkid - I plugged one of the drives in via an internal IDE cable. Windows sees the drive, it has 3 partitions, one I can access but only contains Netware system files, one is 'unallocated' and the third shows up as 'novell 386 netware' when looking at the drive using GetDataBack. The 'novell 386 netware' partition is inaccessible - "The volume does not contain a recognized file system"

If I need to put them all back and get netware going again then I'm a bit stuck, because Netware (4.11) goes down with 'Abend' or 'Multiple Abend' errors minutes or seconds after being booted. Basically, I can't get any kind of stable connection via the network.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/468854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice