1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Data off a possibly Duff Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leachim, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Hi

The BIOS will recognise the size of the drive and its parameters, but if trying to boot from it, it says invalid disk or HDD error.

I took it out of that computer and put it in a caddy in another computer, and the error came up to say it was not recognised.

Is there a program that can get at some of the valuable data I have on there, as the drive seems to spin, but the surface must be corrupted.

Thanks

Mike

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

3. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I got so far with 0&0 registration and found it only works with XP and not 98. Well the computer that wont boot is/was Wins 98 - is this no good ?

If I take the duff HD out and put it in an XP computer, would that work

Although if what we are talking about is a "boot" cd with its own os, does this matter ?

A bit confused....

Thanks

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

I'm sorry I didn't know O&O only worked with XP. Taking the drive out and putting it into an XP machine wouldn't help because 98 is still on the hard drive.

Try the Knoppix Live CD.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

The O&O CD has it's own operating system like a Knoppix Live CD. Neither program writes anything to the hard drive they just run off their own CD.

Knoppix requires a lot less resources than O&O and I feel sure it will work with Win98.

6. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Hi

I used Knoppix, but it could not read any files off the drive - only one - Viglen.pqi.

Is there another utility in the Linux os that I should be using ?

Thanks

Mike

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

You may want to try a program called Recover My Files

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

Read the information provided at the website. It says it works with FAT32 but I have never used the program and don't know that as a fact. I have seen a few postings on this board where people have used it (don't know on what systems) and it worked. Wish I could tell you more, but as I said I personally have never used the program.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice