1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting deleted pictures back- laptop not reading memory card reader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jillianb, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jillianb

jillianb Thread Starter

All of the pictures on my digital camera got deleted. I have attached the SD card to a memory card reader and plugged into the USB port, because I hope to recover my pictures via a photo recovery software. However, my laptop is not detecting the memory card reader, although the blue light is on. When I click devices and printers, it shows up as a removable disk (drive E). Further, none of the recovery programs have detected my photos from the memory card reader. They either show drive E as having nothing on it, or don't even give drive E as a recoverable option.

How can i fix this these problems?

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 14R, Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit. The memory card reader is a Dynex 12 in 1.

Thank you.

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Is the card an SDHC card? And does the card reader support SDHC cards?

Also, the Inspiron 14R appears to come with a built in card reader on the left hand side, have you tried that? It'll likely be better then the Dynex piece of junk.

The other possibility is that the card fail and is unrecoverable.

4. jillianb

jillianb Thread Starter

No, I don't think it is an SDHC card.

The laptop does have a built in card reader, but the SD card is too small for the slot.

How do I know if the card is failed or unrecoverable? thanks

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

If the card doesn't work in multiple devices.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Post the exact model of the SD card.

Post the exact model of the card reader.

Post the exact model of the laptop, this will be the bottom of the laptop. The Dell will also have a service tag on it, post that too.

You can also try connecting the camera with a USB cable to the computer and if the camera supports the mode, you should be able to run the data recovery on the card that way.

Dell indicates that at least a few model have a card reader that supports SD cards: http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-14r-n4110/pd
    As does this: http://www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/bbe9801427.jpg

7. jillianb

jillianb Thread Starter

SD: memory stick pro duo

Model of the card reader: Dynex 12 in 1 Memory card Reader DX-CR212

Model of the laptop: Inspiron 4010

service tag is C9CRYP1

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Oh so it's not an SD card at all, its an Memory Stick Pro Duo which is a Sony competing product. You may need an adapter as this for the laptop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Memory_Stick_Duo_Adaptor.jpg if the built in card reader doesn't naively take the MS Duo Pro but Dell claims Sony Memory Sticks are supported.

Or try a different external card reader.

9. jillianb

jillianb Thread Starter

oh ok, thank you so much for clarifying.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083734