1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Free Email on the Internet with no service provider

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by muckmail, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Say a person does not want to pay a service provider anything. Is it possable
    for that person to get an email address and use it. I thought that Juno had
    a free email service that allowed someone to use e-mail without paying
    a service provider but I am not sure. If it is so, is there any information
    for that. Is there any other service that would provide absolutely free
    email.
    thank you,

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    i could be wrong but i think you can get free email with aol. my daughter set up one and its working for her. you can get aol for free now. hope this helps.

3. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    how do you get Aol for free?:eek: I've never known them to give it away:eek:

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    aol has been totally free since september as long as you have someway of connecting to the internet either thru dialup or broadband. if you dont like any of the 9.0 versions of aol you can go to www.oldversion.com and get older versions of aol from 4.0 to 8.0. hope this helps.

5. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi muckmail,
    If you've got internet access, as you appear to have - why not try Gmail from Google? It's free and I find it very fast and easy to use. I just Googled "get Gmail" and it took me to the sign-up page.

Hope this helps?
    Richard.

6. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

7. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    thanks telecom:) (y) I thought briefly that it actually meant totally free however, after reading one of the comments (copied below) it's answered my questions:D

"I think some of you guys are missing the point. The only way you can stop paying for AOL service is if you have a separate ISP. AOL will offer stuff like email and various web content for free, but the actual dial-up or broadband connection will never be free. For someone using AOL Broadband, you could probably keep your same email address and whatnot, but to stop paying for the connection itself, you'd have to start paying another ISP. There is a difference between the Internet and the World Wide Web. The WWW is the content, whereas the Internet is the medium used to access it. The WWW may become free mostly, but the Internet will never be free. It's a utility, just like electricity and water, and nobody will ever be able to offer it for free, unless of course the entire concept of money and personal profit is eliminated from this world. "

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Unless you have an ISP (which means a cost) you will not have an IP address allocated, without being allocated an IP address by your ISP, you cannot go anywhere on the internet.

9. hewee

hewee

Years ago before I got online Juno had a email program that was free and it did not cost anything but I don't think they have it any more because it was like 8 years or so. But it worked and I had no cost at all because they had local numbers all over town to get online for free to get the mail.

Free
    Reliable connections and free email with virus protection
    http://account.juno.com/s/landing?a...uctId=free&group=iso-standard-plus-commitment

Don't know what it is like today but it's free and you can get on the internet too.
    Says 10 hours a month and your get ads.

They had the ad thing years ago but it was so new that I never seen ads put one or two times but bet your see them now days.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

About 10 years ago we had a free ISP as well. They made their money in the "interconnection" transfer costs between teleco networks, but that loophole closed and so did the free ISP.

There is no such thing as a free lunch

11. hewee

hewee

kiwiguy, The Juno I had way back was only email. When you signed up it had a big list companys listed and you was asked to put a checkmark by the ones you like. I left them all blank. But hey I said wow this is so cool and my sister on the other side of town and brother in Tx. had it too. Wait brother was in LA back then but we could talk for free. It did not cost and I don't thing there was a limit but can't remember.
    But hey it was free. Now Juno has changed but hey they still have free email with internet too even if it is with ads and has limited hours it is free.

12. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Oh, this is for a friend that does not have internet access. I though Juno had some
    kind of free email without internet access??

13. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    i should of clarified my statement about aol. i get it totally free because i can connect thru roadrunner which i pay for.

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Juno offered that service many years ago. There's nothing on their site now to indicate that it's still available. They do still offer 10 hours free internet access a month. That's probably as close as you'll get to totally free e-mail.

15. hewee

hewee

I would call Juno and ask if it will work for you or not.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/562630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice