1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting "Hard Disk Error" on second SATA data drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mulderator, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

Hey guys, I need one of you hardware geeks to help me here. I finally bought the Maxtor DiamondMax10 hard drive. Its SATA 300 Gig with a 16 Meg Cache and NCQ. I already have a SATA WD Raptor as my main drive and trying to install this one has a data drive. I have an Asus PW5D2 Premium Board.

When I boot up, it takes a long time (about a minute) to do anything than I eventually get a "Hard disc error" and I have to hit F1 to continue. The BIOS recognizes the drive, but Windows does not. I've swapped out the cable and tried a different controller, same result. While I have like 10 hard drives laying around, they are all PATA--no SATAs to try.

I think the drive is damaged. I downloaded Maxtor's PowerMax, but its worthless--goes through some tests and the inital ones pass and later ones fail, but its the same thing on the other drive (the Raptor) and that one works fine. Tells me eventually to contact Maxtor Tech Support on both drives! :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is the drive I had two of fail after only a week.

Do you by chance have another system to connect the drive to?

How does the system work if you disconnect the WD and then try an install of windows on the problem drive?

3. Mulderator

I was going to try the install next to see if that works. I don't have another system to connect to--I have another system, but I don't have a SATA controller for it.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before doing the install, you might want to run chkdsk /r from the recovery console. See what chkdsk has to say about the drive.

5. Mulderator

I tried it as the master and I got the same error in BIOS (i.e., Hard Disk Error) and then blue screen on Windows Install. The drive must be bad because now I tried it as a master and it doesn't work.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I think so. As I posted that is the same drive I had two failures on within one week of installing them. Boy they were fast [for a week]

7. Mulderator

Well, I'm a little sympathetic on hard drives--after shipping and all. I'll send it back to NewEgg for a replacement.

8. Mulderator

Update. I received the second Maxtor Drive and it installed no problem, so the first one was obviously delivered DOA.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad to hear it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice