1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting help with my asus motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sunnygrl44, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sunnygrl44

Sunnygrl44 Thread Starter

Hey,
    First of all, I would like to thank brindle for your help with the first problem I had, I dl'd the everest program and it worked great, gave me all the info I was needing. And I didn't know how to post the message to the thread here for others to see. I'm still a newbie to this forum thread thing and still trying to learn how to use it. So please be patient with me.
    Ok, here is my situation. I have found I have the asus P2L97-S motherboard. With a Pentium II processor, and 440LX AGPset. I have all the specs I needed to get help but the asus website is not helping me. I got this computer from a yard sale, don't laugh its newer then the one I had. And it was built by someone not a company. I didn't get any manuals or install cds for the motherboard and graphics card, and that is what I am needing in order to fix the bios and scsi things going on with this. And I don't know what a socket is in reference to, I see some of you know what it is and how to figure out what the number is for motherboards. If I knew that maybe I could dl the bios and stuff I am needing to get the motherboard set up right. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you describe the problems you have
    1) whats the graphics card from everest

2) here the user manual http://www.asus.com/pub/asus/mb/slot1/440lx/p2l97-s/p2l97s-105.pdf

3) here are downloads for p2l97-s
    http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P2L97-S&Type=Drivers&SLanguage=en-us
    bios, drivers, utilities, manuals

do you have scsi drives installed or is everthing connected via the ide cables

you should be able to produce a everest log and attach here

or try www.belarc.com
    you can just cut and paste into post

3. Sunnygrl44

Hey,
    Thank you for your help. I have downloaded the things the drivers I need. And the manual. I also decided to dl the belarc program as I think the report from the everest program might be to lengthy. I will run the program and send it in a reply.
    And let you know how the drivers are working and if they fixed anything. If I don't get back to here that means I did something wrong and the computer won't boot back up. ;)

4. Sunnygrl44

I don't know what happened but I couldn't get my computer up again until now. I still haven't undated the bios I did print the manual yesterday and read it. It helped me figure some of the settings and what might be wrong, I am not sure how to load the bios files and stuff that you gave me. Still all a little overwhelming when you don't know what some things are. This report doesn't show some things like I have a memorex cd burner, and it only shows 128 mbs of ram when it should be 160.
    Anyway here is the report.
    Operating System System Model
    Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) Compaq Computer Corporation
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    233 megahertz Intel Pentium II
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P2L97-S REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P2L97-S ACPI BIOS Revision 1001 04/21/98
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    8.43 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    2.89 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Memorex 52MAXX 3252AJ [CD-ROM drive]
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

ST38421A [Hard drive] (8.46 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5BD0QV7N, rev 6.01, SMART Status: Healthy 128 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 32 MB
    Slot '1' has 32 MB
    Slot '2' has 32 MB
    Slot '3' has 32 MB
    Slot '4' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 8.43 GB 2.89 GB free

Network Drives
    None detected
    Users Printers
    No details available HP D 640 on LPT1:
    HP DeskJet 690C on LPT1:
    HP DeskJet 690C Series v11.0 on LPT1:

Controllers Display
    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) S3 ViRGE-DX/GX PCI (375/385) [Display adapter]
    Proview LT565 [Monitor] (14.9"vis, s/n FGOZ43159067U, March 2004)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Adaptec AIC-7880 PCI SCSI Controller
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller Creative EMU10K1 Gameport
    Creative Joystick Emulation
    Creative SB Live! series
    Communications Other Devices
    3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX Ethernet NIC (3C905B-TX)
    Microsoft TV/Video Connection
    Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    Motorola SURFboard SB5120 USB Cable Modem
    Network Card MAC Address: 00:11:80:17:6B:9D
    Network IP Address: 66.31.69.118 / 21 Logitech QuickCam Express
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    WheelMouse1 (PS/2)
    USB Root Hub
    Virus Protection
    No details available
    Installed Microsoft Hotfixes [Back to Top]
    DataAccess
    Q329414-21 on 4/12/04 (details...)
    Internet Explorer
    SP1 (SP1)
    Q313829 (details...)
    Q330994 (details...)
    Q831167 (details...)
    Q832894 (details...)
    Q837009 (details...)
    Win98.SE
    UPD238453 (details...)
    UPD242975 (details...)
    UPD256015 (details...)
    UPD259728 (details...)
    Win98.SE (continued)
    UPD269601 (details...)
    UPD273017 (details...)
    UPD273991 (details...)
    UPDQ823559 (details...)
    Win98
    UPD245729 (details...)
    UPD323172 (details...)
    UPD323255 (details...)
    UPD329115 (details...)
    UPD811630 (details...)
    Windows Media Player
    WM320920.1 (details...)
    WM817787 (details...)

Click here to see all available Microsoft security hotfixes for this computer.

Marks a HotFix that verifies correctly
    Marks a HotFix that fails verification
    (note that failing hotfixes need to be reinstalled)
    Unmarked HotFixes lack the data to allow verification

I didn't send the programs installed part of this report wasn't sure its needed.
    I'm thinking that I am going to need to go buy a motherboard and get the cd which is easier to install I think than doing it this way. And then I can start all over again.
    gotta go to work

5. Sunnygrl44

I don't know what happened but I couldn't get my computer up again until now. I still haven't undated the bios I did print the manual yesterday and read it. It helped me figure some of the settings and what might be wrong, I am not sure how to load the bios files and stuff that you gave me. Still all a little overwhelming when you don't know what some things are. This report doesn't show some things like I have a memorex cd burner, and it only shows 128 mbs of ram when it should be 160.
    Anyway here is the report.
    Operating System System Model
    Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) Compaq Computer Corporation
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    233 megahertz Intel Pentium II
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P2L97-S REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P2L97-S ACPI BIOS Revision 1001 04/21/98
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    8.43 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    2.89 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Memorex 52MAXX 3252AJ [CD-ROM drive]
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

ST38421A [Hard drive] (8.46 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5BD0QV7N, rev 6.01, SMART Status: Healthy 128 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 32 MB
    Slot '1' has 32 MB
    Slot '2' has 32 MB
    Slot '3' has 32 MB
    Slot '4' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 8.43 GB 2.89 GB free

Network Drives
    None detected
    Users Printers
    No details available HP D 640 on LPT1:
    HP DeskJet 690C on LPT1:
    HP DeskJet 690C Series v11.0 on LPT1:

Controllers Display
    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) S3 ViRGE-DX/GX PCI (375/385) [Display adapter]
    Proview LT565 [Monitor] (14.9"vis, s/n FGOZ43159067U, March 2004)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Adaptec AIC-7880 PCI SCSI Controller
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller Creative EMU10K1 Gameport
    Creative Joystick Emulation
    Creative SB Live! series
    Communications Other Devices
    3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX Ethernet NIC (3C905B-TX)
    Microsoft TV/Video Connection
    Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    Motorola SURFboard SB5120 USB Cable Modem
    Network Card MAC Address: 00:11:80:17:6B:9D
    Network IP Address: 66.31.69.118 / 21 Logitech QuickCam Express
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    WheelMouse1 (PS/2)
    USB Root Hub
    Virus Protection
    No details available
    Installed Microsoft Hotfixes [Back to Top]
    DataAccess
    Q329414-21 on 4/12/04 (details...)
    Internet Explorer
    SP1 (SP1)
    Q313829 (details...)
    Q330994 (details...)
    Q831167 (details...)
    Q832894 (details...)
    Q837009 (details...)
    Win98.SE
    UPD238453 (details...)
    UPD242975 (details...)
    UPD256015 (details...)
    UPD259728 (details...)
    Win98.SE (continued)
    UPD269601 (details...)
    UPD273017 (details...)
    UPD273991 (details...)
    UPDQ823559 (details...)
    Win98
    UPD245729 (details...)
    UPD323172 (details...)
    UPD323255 (details...)
    UPD329115 (details...)
    UPD811630 (details...)
    Windows Media Player
    WM320920.1 (details...)
    WM817787 (details...)

Click here to see all available Microsoft security hotfixes for this computer.

Marks a HotFix that verifies correctly
    Marks a HotFix that fails verification
    (note that failing hotfixes need to be reinstalled)
    Unmarked HotFixes lack the data to allow verification

I didn't send the programs installed part of this report wasn't sure its needed.
    I'm thinking that I am going to need to go buy a motherboard and get the cd which is easier to install I think than doing it this way. And then I can start all over again.

6. SacsTC

SacsTC

Replace the mobo battery and set the time and date in the bios. "Load Bios Defaults" before starting. This will set the boot device to IDE hard drive which is what belarc advisor is stating you have.

in PNP and PCI setup page go down to Onboard AHA Bios and set it to disabled. Hit F10, y for yes and enter. Let us know what happens. We're still not too sure of the problem.

7. Sunnygrl44

Hi, I have read your reply and printed the info, I don't think the battery is replacable, I have looked for one online and it doens't have any info on it. According to the manual that I dl'd it shows the battery as: BIOS Power (CR2032 3V Lithium Cell). And the ASUS tech that I contacted first about the mb ?s I had gave me everything but what I wanted, which was the manual and bios install cd that comes bundled with the mb when its purchased. I don't know who is smarter me or him. I have gotten more help from techguy.org then the mb manufacturer. Thank you all.
    I will continue to search for a new battery, and then do the PNP/PCI thing you suggested.
    I will let you know how it goes, thanks again for your help.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thats a very standard battery - where do you live?
    7day shop which is UK, Eire ONLY has a pair for £1.45
    otherwise there about £3.50 - £5 each from most local shops

9. Sunnygrl44

Hey, I live in the United States and I just realized you live in the UK, Where is Surrey? And in American money how much is that?
    I am still looking for the battery and where I can get one. I know its not something that any store will carry.
    I do appreciate the help.
    Thank you

10. norton850

norton850

Just repsonding to your battery question only. I believe it's located toward the front of the motherboard between the 1st and 2nd PCI slots. It looks like a large button. Radio Shack might be a place to find one. Roughly double the pound prices to get the cost in US dollars.

11. cavtek

cavtek

yo sunny, the battery is a common one and is used in many digital watches. you should be able to get one at walmart at the jewery counter.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sunnygrl44,
    surrey is south of london
    That was why i asked where you lived as i was quoting £.
    That battery is used in so many consumer products - it will be available in US no problem - canon use it in videos/camera, cars use them in keyfobs,
    global community - must be in any large market - or drug store - if any think like UK prices will vary for $2 to $10 (dollars)

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  14. Sunnygrl44

thanks everyone that helped with the battery problem. I guess my blond was showing on that one. lol! But I did try radioshack and they don't have it.
    After receiving a reply from the mb manufacturer finally. I got overwhelmed with all the technical terms and I took a break from from all of this. I haven't changed the battery yet, but I did change the Onboard AHA Bios to disabled. And not sure if that did anything. My computer is working except it still won't burn cd's. My son mentioned to me that the processor speed has something to do with it. But i would think that the processor I have in here should be enough to burn cd's.
    Ok new ? The manual for the mb says it comes with a 50-pin Fast SCSI cable, which I assume is for something like an external hard drive. And an optional cable is a 68-pin Fast & Wide-SCSI cable for what I don't know either. But is it necessary to have the Adaptec SCSI drivers and utilities installed if I don't have anything connected to those cables? Or does it matter if the drivers are installed and nothing is plugged into them?
    I don't know what plugs into them or what their for. Thats pretty stupid I know but I wouldn't be here if I knew the answers. And I really get more help in here then from the big guys that make all these puter parts. Thanks again guys. I want to ask one more ? and then I will take a break. Can I use my new hard drive which is a Western Digital EIDE 80 gig and it says win 98se may need an Ultra ATA controller card. ?
    I will do some more homework on that too. And get back to let you know what I find out.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice