1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

getting IE windows to open maximized?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by berndawg84, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. berndawg84

berndawg84 Thread Starter

Whenever I click on a link and a new window opens, it opens in a very very small window. I've tried maximizing it and restarting IE, but the windows still remain small. How can I get the windows to open up maximized all the time? thanks

2. jmatt

jmatt

This is one way .

AutoSizer ( freeware ) program to position windows automatically &
    keep them there in the size you want ( ie,IE5 puts new windows in different places )
    It can be found here along with several other great utilities .
    http://www.firase.com/

3. RandyG

RandyG

When you have your one IE window open, right-click your taskbar and select Tile Windows (Vertically or Horizonatlly doesn't matter). Since you only have one window, it will fill the entire screen. Hold CTRL down while closing by using the X at the top right, and it will save it.

From now on, all of your IE windows will open "Maximised" in size, but not in Windows vernacular. this means that the options ot maximise the window will still be available at the top right, but you will notice no real change if you click it. It's important to not taht for some reason, holding the CTRL key is important to make the option "stick". Some people it will work without using the CTRL key, but for everyone, using the CTRK key while closing the window always works.

Now, for other applications, as handy little workaround is to right-click the shortcut you use to open the program and select Properties (this will not work with IE, because the standard shortcut placed on your desktop will give you Internet Options instead). On the Shortcut tab, at the bottom above the Find Target and Change Icon buttons, you will see Run and a box with a drop down arrow to the right. There you can select Maximized, Normal, and Minimized. selecting Maximize will always open the full sized window.

Now the options and descriptions I gave above about the shortcut properties are from Win98, but it works in Win2000 as well, so should also work for WinME.

Good Luck!

4. XJeepGuy

XJeepGuy

THANK YOU ! hehe , just reinstalled XP and darned if i could remember that command to get the windows maximized . Thanks Bro !!

XJ

5. RandyG

RandyG

(y)

Glad to help!;):D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice