1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting internet but not Ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ConfusedAF, Jun 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ConfusedAF

ConfusedAF Thread Starter

HELPPPPPP!

I am moving to a house somewhat in the "boondocks" and the house doesn't have a phone line outlet in any of the walls. I am renting so i really cant put anything in the walls. I am a student so internet is kind of a necessity. My question is, is there a way that I can get some sort of internet/wifi that I can connect to and use.

ANY help is greatly appreciated!!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi, and welcome to TSG.

When you say, "the house doesn't have a phone line outlet in any of the walls." do you mean that there is no phone line coming to the house at all? If there is a phone line, does the phone company offer any kind of DSL data service?

Is there cable TV available? If so, does the cable company offer high-speed internet?

Is cellular phone with unlimited data service available at your location?

3. ConfusedAF

ConfusedAF Thread Starter

No, there is no phone line at all in the house or leading to the house.
    No, there is no cable TV.
    and I checked and no unlimited data.

I emailed AT&T to see about their wireless hot spot that they have on their account and from the looks of it i will just have to pay for so much data a month if i understand the product description correctly.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You could check if there are any other cell carriers in your area besides AT&T and if they offer unlimited data?

Unless AT&T is offering many Gigabytes of data per month at what you consider a reasonable rate, you might find yourself limiting your Internet usage to less than what you would like or need to use.

Do you have a smartphone and a service plan that allows you to use the phone as a hotspot? Have you checked the signal strength at the rental house?

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If you are a student and the house has no way to get internet: dsl, cable, satellite, cheap cell data plan, then expect to spend a lot of time on campus using the internet on campus.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice