1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting kicked off of AOL frequently

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hrgutman, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hrgutman

hrgutman Thread Starter

Using XP Pro and AOL 9.0 Security version on DSL. After half hour or so of inactivity on AOL, I usually and often have to do a full warm reboot in order to get back on AOL. Their support said problem is too many startup functions, and too little resources available. I have plenty of memory, problem just started intensely with 9.0 Security version. AOL said to call the computer manufacturer (can't), and they gave me a whole list of TEMP fixes, but acknowledged that problem would come back. I went to All prog/Acc/Sys info/software enviornment/running tasks and this produced a list of 65 or so entries. A lot of them are AOL itself, some HP for my one printer, some MS windows, some US Robotics for a fax program, (and others too) so they probably should not just be deleted. Is there a way on this forum to send that list to someone as an attachment to look at if that is helpful. Also, under all prog/acc/sys/sys info/startup program, there are about 28 entries, and I can also send this to someone if helpful to help me solve problem

Thanks for help

Hank

2. Sponsor

3. JMJH

JMJH

Unfortunately I do not have enough experience to assist you, but maybe you can help me. Since I upgraded to Windows XP I have not been able to connect to AOL. First, the message said my network settings might the problem, now I'm getting an error message about my modem. Can you offer some advice?

4. nj12nets

nj12nets

how many startup programs do u have?

5. hrgutman

hrgutman Thread Starter

JMJH - Sorry, I can be of assistance, perhaps some other person can

NJ12Nets -I really don't know how, how exactly should I find that out? Is the info that I did list of any value? I notice that others are asked to capture their computer info via a program named HIJACK, if I did that, would you (or someone else) be able to help me? Thanks

6. nj12nets

nj12nets

right when xp starts press ctrl alt del and tell me how many processes

7. hrgutman

hrgutman Thread Starter

Tried to get that startup info a dozen times, and keep getting the BIOS CMOS Setup screen instead, any other way to tell you the # of startup programs I am apparently running?

Thanks

8. nj12nets

nj12nets

ok when u login to windows or when windows starts and your at your desktop press ctrl alt del and go to task manager if it automatically doesnt. then click the processes tab n see how many processes u have

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!