1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting knocked off home WiFi Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cbborromeo, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbborromeo

cbborromeo Thread Starter

This one will stump even you gurus I think.

I have 3 laptops connected to a WiFi router. The WiFi router has WPA2 security enabled and DSL. When I connect a laptop to the wire, I don't have an issue. Also, I have a 5Mhz cordless phone (which doesn't conflict with my WiFi router.

In the last several months, each of the laptops will intermittently disconnect with from my WPA2 secured router. When I View Wireless Networks and click Refresh, my router shows up with full signal, while others (5) in the area have 1-2 bars at most. Occasionally, when I reconnect, my laptop will show that it's connected to my router as an unsecured network.

At first, I thought that it was a hacker trying some Man in the Middle stuff. Then again, who would sit around for 3-4 months doing exactly that same thing over and over again throughout the day? I guess it's either interference from another WiFi AP or a bad WiFi Router.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? If anyone suggests turning off security to check and it does turn out to be correct, what is a viable solution? Obviously I'd be negligent not to have security on my AP. Could it be the WiFi Router?

Thanks for the help!

2. CoBrA2168

CoBrA2168

Start troubleshooting. Try it without security, and maybe change some settings on the router.

If you can, borrow another router and try that one and see if you get the same issues.

3. cbborromeo

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is no known general issue with WPA2 that I'm aware of.

Did you try no encryption and it all works?

5. cbborromeo

In the other post, Adrian seems to have corrected his issue by disabling security. I'll do the same for the next couple of days to check it out.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When disabling security works, it's normally a signal strength issue. You can connect with a weaker signal with security disabled, though it sometimes drifts in and out.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/565893