1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

getting knocked offline when phone rings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Suzdebi48, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Suzdebi48

Suzdebi48 Thread Starter

I had this problem when I first setup my wireless laptop. I bought a 5.8 cordless phone & everything worked great till recently. I have all my filters on. For about the past week evertime I answer my phone, I get kicked off line. I recently reinstalled a.o.l. on my laptop & I don't know if that had something to do with my problem. Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you are using DSL, I suspect you have either wiring issues or a missing/defective filter.

Here's my RX for bad DSL wiring.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.ing issues.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/554806