1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Linksys router & Wifi Cam to work.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by apothecary, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apothecary

apothecary Thread Starter

Ok, here's my situation.

I have a client I'm dealing with and he wants a wireless webcam setup.

Windows XP 32bit desktop. Clean, works fine.

He has this cable modem
    SMC Networks - SMC8014-BIZ EZ Connect

And this

ARRIS : Product Catalog : Touchstone® Telephony Modem TM502G

Which are each hooked up to a split coaxial cable.

And this router
    Linksys by Cisco - WRT54G Support

And this camera
    Amazon.com: D-Link DCS-930L mydlink-Enabled Wireless N Network Camera: Camera & Photo

And wants the camera to go wireless, so he can login and remote-monitor.

I re-routed the connection from the SMC to the linksys, then from the linksys to the camera.

Everything lights up but it will not recognize the router or the camera when I type in the IP of either.

Camera requires plugging itself into the ethernet network upon installation.

I've tried many different solutions as well as calling tech support for the camera.

He is open to replacing any of the equipment if needed, but this would go much faster (and get me paid sooner) if I could get these devices to talk to each other.

Tried logging into the camera's IP, no dice. Tried logging into the modem, no dice.

Camera is recognized but will not complete setup and I haven't even gotten to the long-distance configuration stage yet.

Any ideas?

Been a tech for a while but have tried many solutions up to this point.

Please help!

Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This is with a computer connected to the Linksys router? Are you using dynamic addressing on the computer, and cannot access the router's config pages using the Default Gateway?

With a PC and the camera connected to the Linksys router, and the router connected to nothing else but electricity, please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Looking ahead for when we get this part working, what IP address subnet is the SMC modem/router using? If it is the same as the Linksys you will need to change one of them if you want to cascade the routers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice