1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Linux through a Microsoft proxy for rhn update

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by rjrosenthal, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjrosenthal

rjrosenthal Thread Starter

I have an Advance Server 2.1 Linux machine that needs to get to the internet to attach to rhn.redhat.com. When I run any of the internet browers (mozilla etc.) on the Linux machine I can attach to the internet with no problem. When I run up2date -u I get a socket error. From all my windows machines I can ping other machines on my network by their name or IP address, but from the Linux machine I can only ping by IP address (seems like it can't resolve names). I have talked to Microsoft and they say all my ports that need to be open are. So I am at a loss. I talked to RedHat they seemed confused and said they would try something and get back to me, that was two days ago. I am new to Linux and need to start applying updates. If anyone can tell me what I am missing I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim

2. tsunam

tsunam

Hmm so far what i've seen for fixing this for at least partially, is to use samba to connect to the file and print server (ie the network for the windows world) that could allow you to go thru with just a bit of tweaking the other seems to be a new http://www.inet.no/dante/ proxy like that. I'll keep looking but i thought i'd at least let you know of those options.

http://us2.samba.org/samba/samba.html samba can be found there as well how to install it. its documentation is actually well done for something so complicated.

or you could always just use squid and bypass the entire windows based network :)

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

I take it you cannot get acess to raw network? Is this at home or at business, and what is this box doing (The reason i ask is that if it's running in a business environment as a server, should it not be on the same level as the MS server, and on a raw net feed?).

Anyhow. Can you give the output of the excact error here. It sounds to me as if an overzealous win firewall is giving you grief.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice