1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Getting Machine_Check_Exception error 0x9c on Dell GX620

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bobcat250, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobcat250

bobcat250 Thread Starter

I'm using a dual boot Dell GX620; has Vista Business 64-bit dual booting with Win 8.1 Pro 32-bit (Processor does not support 64-bit version of 8.1)

After running the 8.1 OS for a few hours, the pc hangs (no mouse/kbd activity); have to force reboot via power button. Have run Memtst86 (no errors) replaced memory anyway; no help. All drivers are current. Only issue I think may be part of the problem is that the pagefile (for the 8.1 OS) was situated on the 64-bit C: drive; moved it to the 32-bit D: drive a short time ago. Won't know for awhile if that is part of my issue.

Here is the sysinfo material as requested:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3581 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0), 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 680 GB (654 GB Free); D: 250 GB (188 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0F8098
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I've attached the requisite .dmp file (in .zip format as required) to investigate.

Please help with this as the problem has persisted for several weeks.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Please do not be annoyed by the question.
    Are the Vista 64bit Business edition and the 8.1 Pro both licensed Operating systems for use on this Dell

The reason I ask is that 8.1 is a LTSB edition of Professional
    that is Long Term Service Branch and that was not generally available through legitimate channels - except as a 90 day trial through Microsoft Tech net, It being LTSB has special features and update arrangements

If the software is not correctly licensed and in use properly on the Dell, then wasting your time and indeed mine is pointless as this site does not support the use of such software.
    From our rules
    IF I AM WRONG and you have properly acquired both Vista and Windows 8 licences then please accept my apologies now

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  3. bobcat250

bobcat250 Thread Starter

Okay, you've totally confused me. Both OS's are valid and licensed. Not sure what an "LTSB" edition is; have never heard of it. To my knowledge, 8.1 was issued as a replacement for 8.0 which had many unwanted "features"; no indication of it being a "special" edition. Also, to my knowledge, version 8.0 is no longer supported by Microsoft which is why there is 8.1. Sort of like Windows 7 being Vista SP3.

If you still have concerns about answering a valid support question, that's fine.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    M:

Just for your information, that 2005-era Dell OptiPlex GX620 was running Windows XP SP3 in 2014.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. Macboatmaster

It is not, that I do NOT want to help - in your support question
    I thought I had explained the reason for the question
    Please follow the procedures here

1. Please download and run MGADiag.

• Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program
    • Click "Continue"
    • Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).
    • Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
    • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report please to your reply
    2. Please open an Elevated Command Prompt window (on the Start screen, type "Command" - a Command Prompt icon will appear, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator) then at the prompt, type the following (be sure to include the spaces):

Licensingdiag.exe -report %userprofile%\desktop\report.txt -log %userprofile%\desktop\repfiles.cab

After running the command, two files will appear on your desktop, report.txt and repfiles.cab. Please open the report.txt file in Notepad and copy and paste the contents here. The repfiles.cab is only a backup file and can be ignored for the time being.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  6. bobcat250

bobcat250 Thread Starter

Macboatmaster, thanks for your prompt responses and your info on the 8.1 version. At this point, I'm not pursuing this issue further as I'll simply reformat and reinstall the former OS.

To Flavallee's point, yes this pc originally came loaded with XP SP3 when I acquired it in '07.

Noticeable is Flavallee's many Army patches, so I want to say a heartfelt "thank you" for your service to our country. My friend, Dave, is a former Army 'Nam veteran having done an 11 month tour from '65 - '67 serving in the Combat Engineers.

Again, many thanks for your offers of help.

7. Macboatmaster

As you wish
    In view of that - mark your topic solved please - click the mark solved button on your opening post

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!