1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting message "Unable to connect to wireless" after multiple attempts(Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ajbhat1990, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajbhat1990

ajbhat1990 Thread Starter

Okay , this is going to be a very long post . So bear with me here

I have an acer aspire 5742g laptop . I use wifi at my home , and the wireless network seemed to work fine there.

Then after a few days I came to the hostel . We have wifi in the hostel , so I tried to connect my laptop with the wifi . And there is a message that came , "Unable to connect to stes(name of the wifi network ) , earlier I thought that it was a temporary thing and that it would work the next day, but then the next day , my room mates arrived and their laptops connected easily without the error message .

1)When I click on the wifi icon on the right hand side bottom bar , I can see the network , but it does not connect , and gives me the same error message .

2)When I click on Network and Sharing Center , and then on manage wireless network , I don't see the name(stes) of the wireless network(So I can't even remove it)

3)I have tried uninstalling,installing,updating my network adapter , drivers etc . but none of the things have worked .

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is . Its really bugging me now :| , I formatted my laptop , restored it to factory settings , nothing worked.

I also tried to connect through a hotspot which I made from my mobile and it got connected easily without any problem .

Can anyone help me out here ?

2. ajbhat1990

Can someone help me out with this please ? :(

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Identify the desired network and also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

4. ajbhat1990

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Users\Ajay>ipconfig/all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ajay-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-75-08-CD-9E-18
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-00-4E-40-27-FD
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b98a:78d:3fb5:be7d%16(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.199(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:13:23 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:14:55 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 277872718
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-7E-90-3B-1C-75-08-CD-9E-18
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    Tunnel adapter isatap.{C7F38DC6-B424-42A1-9AF9-8D0F0AC327BA}:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Tunnel adapter isatap.{8672B5D9-BC5D-4E9C-B96F-553F695C91B0}:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    C:\Users\Ajay>

5. ajbhat1990

I have attached the networks picture

Attached Files:

6. ajbhat1990

Also note that I have no access to the router as I am in the hostel and the hostel authorities have access to the router and students do not

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can't see any clues to the problem.

I'm wondering if a firewall or security suite could be configured (or corrupted) to prevent connection to an unsecured network and result in that message. What firewall or security suite is on the system?

8. ajbhat1990

I removed everything , there is no antivirus that is there on my system

9. ajbhat1990

Any particular thing that I have to do ? Its really annoying me off , the thing that I dont understand is how everyone else's laptop is getting connected and mine isnt :| . Why do we get the unable to connect error anyway ?

when I do the diagnosis , it shows access point error as well

<edited post - family friendly site - etaf moderator >

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

Let me change my last question ...

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

11. ajbhat1990

I had Norton , then I formatted the system and never put any security suite on my system

12. ajbhat1990

[​IMG]
    Windows Network Diagnostics
    Publisher details
    Issues foundProblem with wireless adapter or access point
    Problem with wireless adapter or access point

Not fixed
    [​IMG]Refer to Windows Help and Support for more information about wireless connectivity problems
    Failed

Reset the wireless adapter
    Completed

Investigate router or access point issues
    Completed

Issues found
    Detection details
    Problem with wireless adapter or access pointNot fixed
    [​IMG]Refer to Windows Help and Support for more information about wireless connectivity problemsFailed
    Windows cannot resolve your wireless connectivity issue.
    Reset the wireless adapterCompleted
    [​IMG]
    Network Diagnostics Log
    File Name: 0DDE5A7A-BAF2-4513-9933-10AC472F9DC8.Repair.1.etlInvestigate router or access point issuesCompleted
    If you're connected to a hotspot or domain network, contact the network administrator. Otherwise: 1. Unplug or turn off the device. 2. After all the lights on the device are off, wait at least 10 seconds. 3. Turn the device back on or plug it back into the power outlet. To restart a router or access point that has a built-in battery, press and quickly release the Reset button.
    [​IMG]
    Network Diagnostics Log
    File Name: 9C2F6B0A-970F-4B1A-9F4F-C323A166ED9B.Repair.4.etl

Detection details
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)
    Details about network adapter diagnosis: Network adapter Wireless Network Connection driver information: Description . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 5.100.82.95 Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\oem6.inf Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:12:26 PM Section Name . . . . . . . . . : BCM43XNG_NT61 Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_14e4&dev_4357 Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a Device Manager Status Code . . : 0 IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 71 Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 9[​IMG]
    Diagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)
    Details about wireless connectivity diagnosis: Information for connection being diagnosed Interface GUID: 08093a4f-4f31-4ad1-915d-87ce9b2c4143 Interface name: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter Interface type: Native WiFi Profile: Discovery connection SSID: stes SSID length: 4 Connection mode: Infra Security: No Connect even if network is not broadcasting: NoConnection incident diagnosed Auto Configuration ID: 1 Connection ID: 2Connection status summary Connection started at: 2013-01-14 08:53:47-918 Profile match: Success Pre-Association: Success Association: Fail Security and Authentication: Not startedList of visible access point(s): 2 item(s) total, 2 item(s) displayed BSSID BSS Type PHY Signal(dB) Chnl/freq SSID-------------------------------------------------------------------------18-87-96-5B-42-31 Infra <unknown> -34 6 HTC Portable Hotspot44-E4-D9-22-C3-60 Infra g -69 11 stesConnection History Information for Auto Configuration ID 2 List of visible networks: 2 item(s) total, 2 item(s) displayed BSS Type PHY Security Signal(RSSI) Compatible SSID ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Infra <unknown> Yes 97 Yes HTC Portable Hotspot Infra g No 50 Yes stes List of preferred networks: 1 item(s) Profile: HTC Portable Hotspot SSID: HTC Portable Hotspot SSID length: 20 Connection mode: Infra Security: Yes Set by group policy: No Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No Connectable: Yes Information for Connection ID 3 Connection started at: 2013-01-14 08:53:49-698 Auto Configuration ID: 2 Profile: HTC Portable Hotspot SSID: HTC Portable Hotspot SSID length: 20 Connection mode: Infra Security: Yes Pre-Association and Association Connectivity settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No Security settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No Profile matches network requirements: Success Pre-association status: Success Association status: Success Last AP: 18-87-96-5b-42-31 Security and Authentication Configured security type: WPA2-PSK Configured encryption type: CCMP(AES) 802.1X protocol: No Key exchange initiated: Yes Unicast key received: Yes Multicast key received: Yes Number of security packets received: 0 Number of security packets sent: 0 Security attempt status: Success Connectivity Packet statistics Ndis Rx: 11 Ndis Tx: 58 Unicast decrypt success: 11 Multicast decrypt success: 0 Unicast decrypt failure: 0 Multicast decrypt failure: 0 Rx success: 450 Rx failure: 0 Tx success: 78 Tx failure: 0 Tx retry: 3 Tx multiple retry: 0 Tx max lifetime exceeded: 0 Tx ACK failure: 3 Roaming history: 0 item(s) Information for Auto Configuration ID 1 List of visible networks: 2 item(s) total, 2 item(s) displayed BSS Type PHY Security Signal(RSSI) Compatible SSID ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Infra <unknown> Yes 97 Yes HTC Portable Hotspot Infra g No 60 Yes stes List of preferred networks: 1 item(s) Profile: HTC Portable Hotspot SSID: HTC Portable Hotspot SSID length: 20 Connection mode: Infra Security: Yes Set by group policy: No Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No Connectable: Yes Information for Connection ID 2 Connection started at: 2013-01-14 08:53:47-918 Auto Configuration ID: 1 Profile: Discovery connection SSID: stes SSID length: 4 Connection mode: Infra Security: No Pre-Association and Association Connectivity settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No Security settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No Profile matches network requirements: Success Pre-association status: Success Association status: Fail 0x00038002 Association reason code: 0x00000002 Information for Connection ID 1 Connection started at: 2013-01-14 08:51:47-438 Auto Configuration ID: 1 Profile: HTC Portable Hotspot SSID: HTC Portable Hotspot SSID length: 20 Connection mode: Infra Security: Yes Pre-Association and Association Connectivity settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No Security settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No Profile matches network requirements: Success Pre-association status: Success Association status: Success Last AP: 18-87-96-5b-42-31 Security and Authentication Configured security type: WPA2-PSK Configured encryption type: CCMP(AES) 802.1X protocol: No Key exchange initiated: Yes Unicast key received: Yes Multicast key received: Yes Number of security packets received: 0 Number of security packets sent: 0 Security attempt status: Success Connectivity Packet statistics Ndis Rx: 0 Ndis Tx: 0 Unicast decrypt success: 687 Multicast decrypt success: 0 Unicast decrypt failure: 0 Multicast decrypt failure: 0 Rx success: 3957 Rx failure: 12 Tx success: 393 Tx failure: 0 Tx retry: 0 Tx multiple retry: 0 Tx max lifetime exceeded: 0 Tx ACK failure: 0 Roaming history: 1 item(s) Times: 2013-01-14 08:53:47-778 Roamed from BSSID: 00-00-00-00-00-00 Reason: 0x00000007 Disconnected from BSSID: 00-00-00-00-00-00 Reason: 0x00000101[​IMG]
    Diagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)
    Details about wireless connectivity diagnosis: For complete information about this session see the wireless connectivity information event.Helper Class: Auto Configuration Initialize status: SuccessInformation for connection being diagnosed Interface GUID: 08093a4f-4f31-4ad1-915d-87ce9b2c4143 Interface name: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter Interface type: Native WiFi Profile: Discovery connection SSID: stes SSID length: 4 Connection mode: Infra Security: No Connect even if network is not broadcasting: NoResult of diagnosis: Problem found Issue referred to: RNWF MSM Helper ClassRoot cause:Windows could not connect to "stes"You can try to connect again.Repair option:Reset your wireless network adapterThis will disable and then enable the network adapter "Wireless Network Connection" on this computer.[​IMG]
    Diagnostics Information (Wireless Network Adapter)
    Details about wireless network adapter diagnosis: For complete information about this session see the wireless connectivity information event.Helper Class: Native WiFi MSM Initialize status: SuccessInformation for connection being diagnosed Interface GUID: 08093a4f-4f31-4ad1-915d-87ce9b2c4143 Interface name: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter Interface type: Native WiFi Profile: Discovery connection SSID: stes SSID length: 4 Connection mode: Infra Security: No Connect even if network is not broadcasting: NoResult of diagnosis: Problem foundRoot cause:Wireless association to "stes" failedA response was not received from the router or access point.Detailed root cause:Wireless association to this network failed. Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or accesspoint.Repair option:Look for causes of low wireless signal qualityThe signal is weak due to distance or interference.Windows Help and Support can provide more information about this problem

Does this help in any way? This is the detailed report after the troubleshooting

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have edited you post , as we are a family friendly site

also the 2nd post re - N and G adapters - keep it just to that subject and DO NOT start fault finding on the other thread - keep all that here

on post #10 TerryNet asked
    did you do that

14. ajbhat1990

Yes , I have done that , to no avail .

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you used the recovery CDs that come or are built from the PC - I suspect that there could still be trial ware on the PC

do a tcp/ip reset
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7

Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter

ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

------------------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice