1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Modem on Hold to work?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by starchild, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

The modem on my Dell XPS400 (With Win XP) died a few weeks ago. (Made a noise like it was stuck and blue error screen everytime I tried to go online)
    My grandson had a moden (unused, he uses a wireless router) and put it in, with a driver he got online.
    Worked good, but the Modem On Hold (which had worked, and my ISP supports) no longer did. When clicked it said "No supported modem installed"
    I looked around online and seems like it needed a V92 modem and the one I had in said V90.
    I just got a Motorola 56k v92 Internal PCI Data/Fax Modem V.92. I looked at various websites about it first, and one of them said it could be used for Modem on Hold.
    I put it in, even went to the specific folder on the driver CD to put it in from the one the enevlope said to use (the first time the CD auto picked up on a driver, and it worked but not the Modem on Hold) It still says "No supported modem installed".
    Though it goes online. I have a Caller ID box on the phone line before the computer, that shows incoming calls (red light goes on the box) but I liked how the Modem on Hold popped up and actually rang, so it could be heard if I wasn't right in front of the computer.
    Do I need another/different modem? New driver, or something to set up the Modem in some way?
    I found some posts about this on this board, but couldn't find any real answers.
    Thanks,
    Carrie

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Just a guess, but did you uninstall the old Modem on Hold software (from Add/Remove programs) and install the Modem on Hold software that came with the Motorola?

The software may only work for one brand of modem, so if the old modem was an Intel, it would see the Motorola as "Not Supported"

HTH

Jerry

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Sorry, for not answering sooner, I didn't see a notification of an answer to this just found it now.

I didn't see any modem on hold software with the motorola modem.
    I assumed it was something built in.
    When I first saw the MOH icon in Control Panel (after I got the pc) I clicked on it and it said "set up" (how it rings, what it screens, etc) and it was just there. It sat down in the bottom on the right.
    I see the Modem on Hold in Add/Remove programs, but if I take it out where is the software to put it back in?
    I thought it just came with WIN XP or the modem installed in it, etc.
    Before I bought the Motorola one I looked it up online and one place said it supports Modem on Hold. And is a 92V which is what this needs.
    I'm easily confused and it might be something I'm not thinking about or missing.
    Should I take MOH out with Add/Remove programs? And it might set up from the files already in my PC?
    I found some "modem on hold" software (with different names) trials that had to be bought at some point, but I downloaded one and it had a virus.
    It's not a big deal in a way, I have a Caller ID box that lights up and shows calls coming in when I'm online (and usually knocks me off line which never happened before- I would go offline and answer IF I wanted to) but I got used to the MOH popping up and ringing, if I wasn't right at the computer and it was online.
    Since I don't remember ever putting the original one in, just clicking on the icon when I saw it, to see what it was, I didn't think I had to put actual software for it in, with the new modem.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The software was probably pre-installed on the PC when you got it. When you purchase a modem, it would come with a disk with the MOH software, the driver, and any other utilities for the modem, like a FAX utility or a Telephone Answering Machine (TAM) application if it's a Data/FAX/Voice modem instead of just a Data/Fax modem.

Besides the applet in the Control Panel, you may also have a folder on the start menu under All Programs. My Dell does, and the applet in Control Panel says Intel MOH.
    In Add/Remove programs, after clicking the MOH line, the support link shows the software is from BVRP Software, Inc. I also got a disk with the Dell that has the driver, documentation, HOH software, and diagnostic utilities. The label on the disk states its already pre-installed on the PC.

Tracking down the software can be a problem. Motorola doesn't have it on their website. And it could be the modem was not made by Motorola, but just uses a Motorola chipset. you would need to find out who actually made the modem and then see if you can track down the software. you may have to look on the modem itself for a manufacturer's part number, or the FCC ID number and then look them up with that. I haven't had much luck finding any.

Can't hurt to remove the software you have, as it's not working anyways. But, if you should get a modem that is from the same manufacturer as the one that died that doesn't have the software included, that software might work for it. Leaving it installed won't hurt anything either, it takes next to nothing for disk space.

Jerry

5. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.
    It might be easier in the long run to look for something to plug in like I now have the Caller ID box. Maybe on ebay?
    They used to advertise something on TV, but I haven't seen it in a few years. That would show the call and who was calling on the monitor and you could switch it to "hold" or off.
    The modem on hold never worked for me to put the internet on HOLD, I would have to disconnect (fast) to catch the call if I wanted it.
    I think my internet was too slow. By the time it would have put the internet on hold the caller had hung up or got the voice mail.
    I'd love to have a box of some kind, like a Caller ID (I now have a regular one, red light comes on and it shows who's calling) that I could hit a switch and either put the internet on hold so I could answer, or turn the internet off (fast) so I could get the call.
    I can click disconnect (internet) and wait and usually can get the call while the phone is still ringing.
    Seems like with all the tech stuff something like that would be possible. Something that doesn't cost a fortune.
    Even just some kind of phone switch to change from the internet line to the phone. I only have one phone line but it has Call Waiting.
    I remember when we had dial phones and party lines and nobody would have believed this stuff now :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!