1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting my files from an external HD to Windows 7

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by CompressedDust, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CompressedDust

CompressedDust Thread Starter

Hi all

First thing, if this is in the wrong place please move it.

I'm currently trying to get some data from an old hard drive onto a new laptop. I've got the hard drive into a USB caddy and once I hooked it up I can see all the data on it (which was a relief, I thought I might have fried the drive completely previously).

I can't work out how to transfer it to the laptop. The laptop is windows 7 and the stuff on the old hard drive is all windows XP.

I'm not sure if I can use the windows easy transfer program to get it off with it just being a hard drive.

I've tried just dragging and dropping the files but it says I need to be in an administrator account. I am using an admin account on the laptop, do I need to somehow be using one on the old hard drive as well?

Do I need to change the ownership of the files on my old HD to that of the new computer? I knew how to do it in XP but I'm finding it difficult to work out in 7.

I'd prefer to be able to just drag and drop, its only some documents and some pictures I want to get off it, the rest of it I can happily live without.

Sorry if I'm being dense, I found the easy transfer steps confusingly written (though I imagine it'd be much easier to follow if it was another computer I was trying to get data from).

Any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. CompressedDust

CompressedDust Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I've been able to recover all my data and I have it backed up in two places now. I'm getting an external hard drive as well to avoid future disasters. I really appreciate you giving up your free time to help.

Thanks again.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You're welcome! (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice