1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting My PC Cooler and Quieter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fredpjr, Apr 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fredpjr

fredpjr Thread Starter

I have a AthonXP System that I put together, and it's not too hot or too loud, but still I'd like to get it as cool and quiet as possible. I have a fan in the front pulling air in (with some cloth to filter dust) and one on the back blowing air out, plus ovbiously the CPU fan and the power supply fan.

The CPU runs around 49 or 50 C most of the time, and the system temp is usually around 28 or 29.

In addition to those fans, there are some vents in the side panels on both sides of the case. So, my theory is, if I take some foam rubber, the spongey type stuff, and put a 3/4 inch or so layer inside each side panel, big enough to cover the whole area of each side, and cover up those side vents in the process, it may make the machine a little more quiet, and maybe a little cooler at the same time because it wont allow any air in those side vents and it will force a faster (and maybe cleaner) flow of air through the system.

This sound like a good idea, or just a waste of time?

2. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    Did the CPU and box come as a set or did you purchess them seperate??? The CPU usally runs hot and I personally would not Cover any of the vents up. With one fan in the front and one in the back and everything else closed up you might actually cause the system to heat up more. The ventilation is there for a reason. Just my 2 cents.

3. fredpjr

fredpjr Thread Starter

I purchased everything seperate. Case if a really plain mid-tower. CPU is a AthlonXP 1600+, I think the heatsink is a Volcano 5 - 5200 or 5300 RPM, and the case fans are Evercool, 3000 RPM I believe. A Maxtor 60GB 7200 RPM drive which is currently 47 degrees according to this temp program I have running. 2 sticks of Crucial SDRam, 128MB and 256MB. CD Drive, CDRW Drive, and a floppy. (there is also a Seagate 10GB 5400 drive in there but not currently hooked up) Running Windows XP Pro.

Probably excessive info there, but just so you know.

4. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    IMHO... since you are running an athlon 1600+, you are going to need all the cooling you can get... Leave them open

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/77796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice