1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

getting nearby open networks by a repeater?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ramin89j, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ramin89j

ramin89j Thread Starter

I just got a flat close to my university and I can get the uni's wifi near one of my windows. I also can reach BT Open zone wifi when I stick to the window but it is too weak.

the problem is that the networks are not always powerful and when I get 20cm away from the window 4 bars get to 1 bar of signal!

Is there any repeater (preferably not at a great expense) which does not need to be set with specific router and just get signals in poor areas and then spread it more powerfully? or any other suggestions? I'm using macbook

cheers

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not sure, but I think that BT Open zone is for use by BT subscribers who are away from their home network, not for just anyone to use.

Repeaters are for rebroadcasting the signals from and to a specific WAP. You may or may not be able to configure one to work with your university's Wi-Fi.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice