Getting New Dell OEM PC With Windows 10 (Starter Questions)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jack1000

Greetings,

Will soon be getting a new Dell PC with Windows 10. I have a computer tech guru who will be helping me set it up. This a replacement for a Windows 7 desktop. Some questions:

1.) I want to install Firefox right away because that is the browser most familiar to me and my family. I have a Patriot Flash Drive. When I transfer my back up files to the new PC, will my Bookmarks and toolbar shortcuts carry over in Firefox?

2.) After I install Firefox, will my Bookmarks and shortcuts also be found in IE 11? What about Edge?

3.) My Dell PC comes with a 12-Month Trial of McAfee AV, which I don't want. Is that a big deal to remove? I have been happy with Windows Defender on Windows 8.1 for my laptop and Windows 7 Microsoft Security Essentials for both programs non-intrusiveness. I am very cautious and do not go to unknown websites or open unknown files.

4.) My tech guru gets deals on MS Office through his company, and can set me up at least with Office 2013 or maybe the new Office 2016. I would be happy with Libre Office and am just a home user doing general task letter-writing and note taking. I have Office 2010 on my Windows 8 laptop and am not a fan of the ribbon. If I go with Libre Office, what functionality would I be losing by not upgrading to a modern version of MS Office?

5.) Lastly, what about Windows 10 new search system, Cortana? Good or gimmicky?

Thanks for any input in advance!

Jack

etaf

Wayne
1)you should be able to export and import into firefox
this article explains how to transfer to another pc
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-bookmarks-from-backup-or-move-them

2)no , you will need to import them
Edge is not that great with bookmarks yet
the import appears to be from chrome or IE- not firefox
and when i imported from chrome - all the order was lost - so a bit of a mess really
IE 11 - when you have edge open click on the ... and open with IE
but you can import from a file - so that maybe the way to go

3) just uninstall mcafee and then use the removal tool
details are here
Mcafee Removal Tool
I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time or even a third time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of Mcafee from the PC

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

4) you should be ok with any of the free office suites for letter writing and spread-sheeting

5) never used cortina - does not work on my main laptop - for some strange languge reason
it worked on a test laptop - but not really a talking to pcs type of guy yet

For me, Cortana simply redirect most of my queries to Bing. It may do well on some subjects, because MS says it can read details about your flight plans. Cortana usage sacrifices a lot of your privacy. It has to read your emails and typed text for example in order to do its stuff. Some one here says MS may sell this info to advertisers, but I have not read about this elsewhere.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online