Getting notebook RJ45 adapter to recognize driver/cable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BarbB

Notebook: HP Pavilion zv5434rs PC series, refurbished
Operating software: XP, ? pro or home
Problem: Can't connect to Internet via broadband
RJ45 Adapter: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2

I have always gotten the message "Network cable not connected" when I've tried to connect this notebook to my existing DSL connection, even when using the network cable that is now connecting my PC to the net to post this message (so, the cable works). I contacted HP's online chat service yesterday about it and received some good help. Unfortunately, it didn't work. One of the things they gave me was an updated driver for the Realtek adapter (above). If that didn't work I was to reset the TCP/IP settings by typing "etsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" in the open field. Before getting offline to try these things, I confirmed with the tech that I was connecting the notebook correctly by inserting the RJ45 plug in the above adapter and the RJ11adapter into the phone jack. He said yes, and I should also check the cable and adapter, too. Well, neither the driver nor the reset worked; I knew the cable was okay but I got new RJ45 and RJ11 plugs. Those did not work, either. While poking around, though, I've noticed in Device Manager that the adapter properties are not picking up the new driver. I installed it correctly last night, and this morning went in and redid it all manually; it all went well, and I rebooted, and the device properties still list the old driver.

I'm thinking this is the problem: that the adapter will not recognize the new driver. How do I get it to recognize the driver?

BTW, I haven't been able to get back into an active HP online chat again, so I am posting here in hopes somebody might have the answer. Thanks in advance,

Barb

BarbB

Just a follow-up, in case anyone else has the problem. Finally did get through to HP, and they had me download an updated BIOS and then reinstall the drivers with the Application Recovery Disk. It did not help. HP kind of ran out of ideas, and I decided to use the OS disk to repair the Windows XP that came on the system. Unfortunately, this is a refurbished notebook, and I assumed the seller (Radio Shack) had cleaned it up first. Apparently not; it asked for the administrative password before it would repair the OS. Of course, I didn't have it. The folks at Radio Shack couldn't help me, either.

So I bought a new Dell notebook. :-(

But I suspect, if the problem was the BIOS, that the OS probably got corrupted and likely repairing it, or at worst, reinstalling it would have solved the problem. If that didn't work, I was going to upgrade to XP Professional.

Barb

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online