1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Getting Nowhere

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jimmy A, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Using IE7 in Windows XP SP2.

Every time I go to one of those web sites that say "must have Flash player to view this site" I click to go to Adobe Flash Player download site in another window. I download it and it goes in successfully. I check and there it is (in "manage Add Ons.") But it never works! I go back and click to go into the web site I'm visiting and I still get "you must have Flash Player." But I just got it! I have it! But it never works. Just go around in circles.

Always downloads successfully but it never works. Even tried changing all my custom Active X security to "let everything in" and it still did not work.

2 sites where this is sending me around in circles are Cadillac.com and fordvehicles.com.

Thanks for any help.

2. TOGG

TOGG

Found this advice;
    "Use Manage Add-Ons to check all installed add-ons. You may find that the one you need has been disabled.

Firstly, Internet Explorer follows certain rules when it comes to add-ons. If the add-ons are in use at the time IE7 is installed they will automatically be enabled. It is only new add-ons that are disabled until you give them permission to run.

Secondly, the add-on you need may have been disabled if it caused problems for IE.

You may have an old add-on that has been updated to work with IE7. Delete the add-on for the affected site and install a new copy.

The control you need may be damaged. You can not see this via Manage Add-Ons - you must go in the old way (Tools, Internet Options, Browsing History Settings, View Objects). If a Control is damaged it will say so in the Status column. If it is damaged, right click and select Delete, then download a new copy."

If you have already done this, check the rest of this page; http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html Better still, try Opera or Firefox!

3. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Thank you for this. I'll have time tomorrow AM to get back in here to do as you suggest. In my efforts so far I have downloaded the new Flash and immediately checked in "Manage Add Ons" and it was there and enabled but still could not get past the web site saying "you must have it" but there it was. I had it.

Thanks again. I intend to try your advice soon and get back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!