1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

getting pictures/files off the computer to free up space

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by impcrown, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. impcrown

impcrown Thread Starter

I have about a zillion old-car pictures in various files, and need to get them off without losing the pics. I do not have a cd-burner- is there some other means of collecting and saving them? My computer is old enough to have the older-style connections, so the little usb thingies don't plug in.
    I am a couplete novice when it comes to working with this thing, and need fairly specific, step-by-step help.

Thanks very much

impcrown

2. Hughv

Hughv

3. impcrown

impcrown Thread Starter

Hughv;

Thanks for the reply, though it isn''t quite what I was hoping for. I just noticed that I'm listed as "intermediate", but that isn't what I put in my registration profile- I am very much a novice, and virtually ANYTHING beyond simple "point and click" moves is more than I understand; I only learned that much because I have been stuck at home for a few years recovering from a series of surgical procedures. I heard about, and joined, an on-line Imperial club, which was the first time I've even had any motivation to TOUCH a computer. None of the things tech-type folks can do is intuitive to me, so I really DO need step-by-step help- preferably as I'm doing it- whatever "it" is.
    I have heard from other sources that pictures could be down loaded (or is it "uploaded"- I really don't know which is which) to one type of disc or another, and then the space they took up on the hard-drive would be freed up, and the computer would be a bit faster again. I bought one of those usb flash-drive things at Office Max and an adapter, but when I plugged it in, nothing told me how to actually DO what I needed to do.
    My computer keeps giving me the message that the virtual memory is low, and I don't know how to do all this stuff to fix it; I really DO have a great many pictures, and don't want to lose any of them- they just don't need to be instantly accessible.
    My wife has these little diskettes inside plastic sleeve-thingies that hold her membership info for our Chrysler club chapter, and when she needs it, she just shoves it into the slot and there it is for her- isn't there something like that for pictures? By the way, she knows less than I do about these things, and can just barely do what she needs to know how to do about her club stuff.

Thanks again

Kris- "Impcrown'

4. Hughv

Hughv

You need some training in the basics, especially file management.
    Start with this page:
    http://ctl.ifas.ufl.edu/CTLfaq/FileManage.htm

I believe youw ife is using a 3.5" floppy disk, and they can hold about two of today's hi-resolution images, so they won't be much help.
    Read This part:

"How do I move files from one machine to another?"

Put your USB drive in the machine and see if you can get the files moved to it.
    I'll be back later when I have more time.

5. mrss

mrss Guest

If you are running Windows 98, you won't be able to use USB at all. You need at least Windows 98 Second Edition. Right clicking on the My Computer icon and then selecting "Properties" should tell you what Windows you got.

6. mrss

mrss Guest

Most car clubs are pretty helpful though. Bet you could get a member to see if they could put a 30 dollar CD burner in your PC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice